April 12, 2016
a diverse and inclusive environment in our sport is an intricate
and complicated endeavor. We appreciate and celebrate the fact that
life is complex. Central Zone Select Diversity Camp participants
will be encouraged to share their stories, to think critically and
multidimensionally, to act responsibly, and to lead with
Midwestern Swimming is hosting the 2016 Central Zone Diversity Select Camp in an effort to celebrate the opportunities for diversity in swimming and provide a collaborative experience which includes pool training, motivational and educational sessions, team building and strategic planning activities, and competitive events to produce local ambassadors and leaders from among Central Zone coaches, Diversity Chairs, and emerging young diverse athletes from underrepresented populations. The goal of the camp is to empower athletes from ethnically under represented populations, their coaches, and Diversity Chairs to:
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming within their local LSC
- Achieve performance excellence throughout the sport
- Introduce the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming
- Develop positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate
network and promote the virtues of the sport of swimming through a
comprehensive strategy involving the athletes and the LSC Diversity
Chairs in their own local LSCs and throughout the Central
Dates and Location: The Camp will be held June 16-19, 2016
in Omaha, Nebraska at Brownell-Talbot School. Athletes, coaches,
and chairs will be housed in a hotel near the B-T campus. Attendees
should plan to arrive early to late afternoon on Thursday, June 16,
and depart Sunday, June 19 in the morning. The competitive event
will take place on Saturday afternoon at the CenturyLink
Valley Swimming is committed to supporting diversity and inclusion
initiatives in our community. Our LSC will fund the attendance of 1
male and 1 female athlete as well as one coach to the Central Zone
Diversity Select Camp in June 2016.
Camp eligibility requirements:
- Swimmer must be a registered member of Missouri Valley Swimming for 2016.
- Swimmer must either represent an ethnically under-represented population that is less than 20% of the currrent USA Swimming membership, be an LGBT or registered Outreach athlete.
- Swimmer must have competed at a Missouri Valley Championship meet during the 2015-2016 short course season (Qualifier, Winter Classic, Districts, SC Championships, Sectionals)
- Swimmer must agree to complete and return all registration materials by the set deadline, and to attend all portions of the camp with the Missouri Valley Swimming delegation.
- Parents wishing to accompany swimmers must provide their own transportation and accommodations.