October 1, 2018
Welcome Otters family! Most importantly, we need to know if
everyone has been able to access the website
(www.oxfordotters.com) and/or the OnDeck app. If you have access to either, did you review your account and
swimmer information? This is a critical tool that we will use throughout the season. Double check your primary
and secondary email address as well as at least one cell phone number and carrier. This will ensure that you
will get any last minute updates via text, email, and an app notification on your phone. We also use it to take
attendance, set up our meets, and track times.
Before getting into our Yankee League topics, a few words about our USA Swimming program. It is a great
chance for swimmers to get more practice with more attention from coaches; as of now we have 7 USA
swimmers. We have additional practices Tuesday and Thursday evenings, as well as more meets. The meets
are typically go all weekend, but you can swim whatever you choose with many more event options than our YL
meets. USA swimmers still participate in everything that Yankee League includes! We welcome all swimmers
to join at any time! Contact Coach Brian for more information.
Otters Coaches: Krista-Leigh Donovan, Brian Kenny, Spencer Pratt, Jake Marshall, and Jack Coddington
Board Members: Aneta Welkes-Spader, Leigh Webb, Jamie Grasso, Tony Delfino, Martha Marshall, and Edna
● Team Bathing Suit Fittings- Thursday October 4th in the hallway outside the pool. Siblings may come at
the same time for either of their levels. There will be swim lessons and high school activities going on as
○ Bronze 5:00 Silver 5:20 Gold 5:40 JR’s & SR’s 6:00
● Black & Red Meet- Saturday October 20th 10:30-1:00 ALL LEVELS
○ Must declare on website by 9:00PM on 10/14. We will need volunteers, Coaches will coordinate.
● First meet- Saturday November 3rd @ OHS Pool 10:30 warm-up.
● Officials Clinic- Monday October 29th, 7:00-9:00PM @ Naugatuck H.S.
○ We are required to have 2 at each meet and it goes towards your family’s volunteer hours.
● Pie order forms are due October 15th, please see coaches if you have not received an order form.
WHEN SWIMMERS ARE DROPPED OFF OR HAVE FINISHED THEIR PRACTICE, THEY MUST STAY ON
THE POOL DECK OR UP IN THE VIEWING AREA. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANY
SWIMMER BE LOITERING IN THE STAIRWELLS OR ROAMING THE HALLS. WHEN SWIMMERS ARE
HERE, THEY ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE COACHES; IF THEY ARE NOT ON DECK THEN WE DO
NOT KNOW THEY ARE HERE. PLEASE REMIND YOUR SWIMMERS OF THIS, THANK YOU!
● Every swimmer needs to have goggles and a water bottle at every practice.
● Swimmers with longer hair must have caps, the team will provide caps for meets.
● Team suits should not be worn on a regular basis, it will wear out the material.
● ANY SWIMMER that requires an inhaler MUST have it on deck everyday in case of emergency. We
have a box on deck designated for inhalers.
● If swimmers are waiting for their practice time, they must be on deck and nondisruptive. It is encouraged
that they be stretching while they wait.
● Bathroom/locker room behavior will be at its best. Any issues will be reported to a coach immediately.
Please remind your swimmers what constitutes as acceptable behavior.
● If there is a school closing due to weather for Oxford Public Schools, or an early dismissal due to
weather, we will NOT have practice. Be sure to check the practice schedule on the website as there are
certain dates we do not have access to the pool.
Regular Season Meets:
● Whether it’s a home or away meet, volunteers make it happen. We need timers and officials for every
meet. At home meets we need concession stand workers and donations. The Board will be coordinating
the volunteer hours and concessions. There is a 10hr minimum for each family. They will have more
information as we get closer to the meets. We need and appreciate your help!
● Swimmers must compete in 3 meets to be eligible for Trials/Championships at the end of the season.
● Entry deadlines will be posted on the website and are FIRM. It takes many hours to plan a meet.
● No chairs on deck during meets. No parents on deck; unless you are a volunteer for that meet.
● Try to arrive 15 min early. Any scratches need to be reported ASAP. If you are running late, contact one
of the coaches so your swimmer is not scratched from the meet.
● Swimmers need: team suit, goggles, team cap (provided), 2 towels, water bottle, and a healthy snack.
● NO electronics during a meet (including cell phones, iPad, iPod, video games, wireless headphones,
etc). It has been the reason for swimmers not paying attention and missing their events. We have also
had devices/items being lost or broken in the past. If a swimmer needs to be entertained during the
meet, they can watch and cheer on their teammates.
● Acceptable alternative entertainment includes: books, puzzle/coloring book, cards, or homework. If you
are unsure, please reach out to the coaches.
● SPORTSMANSHIP! We would like our swimmers to shake hands and congratulate the opponents no
matter where you/they finish.
We are happy to announce that the team is now affiliated with SwimOutlet.com and we will receive 8% back of
every purchase! Feel free to pass the link onto anyone you know that might need any kind of swim equipment.
They literally have everything.... www.swimoutlet.com/oxfordotters
Date Opponent Location Warm-up Start
11/3/18 Bristol @OHS Pool 10:30 AM 11:30 AM
11/10/18 West Haven/Naugatuck @West Haven 8:30 AM 9:30 AM
12/15/18 Seymour @OHS Pool 10:30 AM 11:30 AM
1/5/19 Plainville @OHS Pool 10:30 AM 11:30 AM
1/19/19 Newtown @OHS Pool 10:30 AM 11:30 AM
1/26/19 Watertown/Seymour @OHS Pool 10:30 AM 11:30 AM
2/16/19 9/10 Trials @Plainville 8:00 AM 9:00 AM
2/16/19 11/12 Trials @Plainville 1:00 PM 2:00 PM
2/17/19 8/Under Champs @Watertown 8:00 AM 9:00 AM
2/17/19 13/Over Trials @Watertown 2:00 PM 3:00 PM
2/23/19 9/Over Champs @West Haven 8:00 AM 9:00 AM
3/2/19 All-Stars @West Haven 8:00 AM 9:00 AM
We look forward to an exciting and successful season!
-Oxford Otters Coaches