Team Status Update

Good morning from the Costco parking lot! I'll start by expressing gratitude for how well Costco is managing an extremely challenging situation. 

Cautiously, I wish to share some good news. The school district has allowed us to make our own decision about returning to usage of the pool. The school administration was encouraged by our proposal of designing practice formats with "social distancing" in mind. 

We had a staff meeting last night and agreed to some methods and parameters that could allow us to CAUTIOUSLY return to training. There will be no attendance requirements, just the opportunity to train if families and swimmers choose to use the opportunity. 

In broad strokes we would be utilizing an "appointment system" to run practices embracing the government's and CDC's urgent recommendations. Our system would involve short practices, minimal on deck instruction, and intervals would prevent swimmers from congregating at the wall. In tandem, coaches will aim to use online tools to deliver "learning focus" themes for the practices. Otherwise, the practices will be posted at each lane with the intent to keep swimmers moving and not having more than one swimmer resting at the wall at a time.

I am avoiding more precise details right now since conditions, recommendations, and requirements are updating by the day. If parameters stabilize, we will cautiously try to resume training on March 23rd. Sunday morning we will announce a "Go" or " No-Go". If we are a "No-go" we will evaluate for a possible March 30th resumption.

Please watch for other manners of online engagement during this time. Please know our priorities are #1) safety and health of our swimmers and their families, and #2) re-establishing even some semblance of normalcy. 

Miss you all,

Coach Bryan on behalf of the Desert Thunder coaches