Support our Athletes
Become a Missouri Valley Stroke & Turn Official
Why become an official?
- Support an excellent sport for children and promote a healthy lifestyle for children.
- You will gain a more thorough understanding of competitive swimming.
- Fulfill your volunteer obligations.
- Get closer to the action; know what’s happening on deck with the “best seat” at the pool.
- Get mentally and physically engaged during the meet rather than merely “spectating.”
- Receive free admission and great hospitality during sessions officiated.
STEP 1: USA Swimming Registration
- Complete the current year USA Swimming Non-Athlete Registration Form.
- Cost is $74.00 – Ask your Club if they will reimburse you. Many do!
- All registrations are entered manually into the USA Swimming database. Depending on staff workload, it may take up to 72 hours until your information is added.
- First time officials should receive an email from USA Swimming when their registration is complete.
STEP 2: Connect to USA Swimming's website
- Create an account with USA Swimming.
- Once signed in, link your membership to your USA Swimming account in the My Account area.
STEP 3: USA Swimming Athlete Protection Policy
All Non-Athlete USA Swimming members, including Officials, must complete the following:
STEP 4: Start Your Training
Take your USA Swimming Test: Complete USA Swimming’s on-line, open book test, “Stroke and Turn Certification Test”. A stroke and Turn official will need to take both the Timer and S&T Judge test.
Attend a Training Clinic
- Attend a Stroke & Turn Training Clinic. These are conducted in various locations throughout the LSC. Check the Event page on the Missouri Valley website.
- You can filter the calendar by choosing ‘Officials’ in the event category.
The Stroke & Turn is required to work with a full status official for a minimum of six meet sessions (not including Time Trials). In order to provide the trainee with the opportunity to work with a number of experienced officials, these six or more meet sessions must be worked at a minimum of TWO DIFFERENT MEETS. These work sessions shall be recorded in the Official’s Tracking System database via the USA Swimming official’s website by the meet referee.
USA Swimming Card – You can access your USA non-athlete card once you have achieved after you have registered AND successfully completed the Criminal Background Check and USA Swimming online Athlete Protection Training module.
- Log in you your USA Swimming account
- Click "My Deck Pass" in the upper right hand corner
- Scroll down and click "My Membership Card"
- You can click "Print Volunteer Card" if you wish to have a hard copy
Official Card – Once you have completed the training Clinic, USA Swimming on-line test, and the apprentice sessions, you will be able to print your Certification card on the USA Swimming website.
Questions about your certification should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org