Per Alaska Swimming bylaws, Central Area must elect an athlete rep at our Central Area Championship in even years.
Below is the Central Area Athlete Rep job description:
- The athlete rep must be at least 14 years of age
- The athlete rep must attend, and participate, in the Central Area monthly meetings.
- The athlete rep must commit to attend, and participate, in the two annual Alaska Swimming House of Delegates meetings (held in mid April each year), which will occur during their term.
- The athlete rep must participate in Central Area board emails
- The athlete rep must be engaged in, and concerned with, the future of Central Area Swimming and Alaska Swimming
- In every instance, the Athlete Representative must be the eyes, ears, and voice of the Central Area athletes. This means advocating for every Central Area swimmer, listening to their thoughts/opinions, and conveying them to both the Central Area board, and the Alaska Swimming House of Delegates.
At the Central Area Championship meet, in December, each team will provide up to two (2) athlete representatives to an athlete meeting. The team representatives will cast their ballots for the candidate they wish. It is from this election that the new Central Area Athlete Rep will be selected. The time and place of the athlete meeting will be in the Central Area Champs meet information. Below is a detailed description of the Central Area Athlete Rep selection process.
The election process:
- Interested athletes will submit a resume and letter of interest to the Central Area Board by the monthly meeting prior to the Central Area Championship swim meet.
- From the interested athletes, the Central Area Board will form a ballot to be voted on at the Central Area Championship.
- Two athlete representatives, from each Central Area club/team, will attend an athlete meeting at the Central Area Championship. At the meeting each of the club/team representative will receive a ballot, on which to vote. The candidate with the most votes will be the new athlete representative.
- In the event of a tie, the outgoing athlete representative will cast the deciding vote.
- In the event that the current athlete representative is also a candidate, he/she will not cast the deciding vote, but each team will receive a third vote.
- If there is still a tie, the winner will be determined with a coin toss.
- In the event the athlete rep elect cannot serve, the runner-up will be offered the position.