ATST is a parent-run organization. We are not run by Leisure Services and Supplemental Education (LSSE) of Amherst. The board of directors consists of swimmers' parents. In order for a swim meet to take place, as many as 50 positions are required to be filled. We expect at least one parent/guardian to volunteer from each family for each home meet and for the championship meet. You are only expected to volunteer for half a meet. Parents of new swimmers can team up with a buddy for one of the first meets if they feel uncomfortable, but most of the jobs are fairly easy and require little training. If parents are unable or unwilling to volunteer, a donation of $200 per season is expected. Early in the season, we usually hold a mock meet where we will train volunteers for these jobs. This year we are planning to enlist volunteers via email. Below is a list of the jobs that must be filled for each meet.
- Starter:This requires previous experience or special training. This person announces each event and starts each event.
- Timer:This is the job that requires the most number of volunteers. At each meet, you will be given a stop watch and directions on how to use it. Generally, we need 6-8 timers at a time.
- Back-Up Timer:This timer starts the watch at the beginning of each race and records time for any person who has a mishap with timing the particular lane assigned to them.
- Stroke and Turn Judge:Each team is expected to supply two judges per meet. This person is responsible for making sure strokes and turns are done legally. Training sessions are usually held by the league at the beginning of each season. There is also a video tape available that can be viewed.
- Bullpen Monitor: These people help line up the swimmers in the correct order for their events. They also monitor behavior on deck and make sure the kids know what event they are swimming and what lane they are swimming in.
- Scorekeeper:These people count up the points for each team during the meet and enter the points into a computer.
- Place Judge:The place judge records which swimmer/lane comes in first, second, and third place for each race.
- Runner: This person collects all timing cards and place cards from the timers and takes them to the scoring table after each event.
- Food Table Helper:For home meets, these people help set up the food table, sell food, and pack up the food table at the end of meet.
- 50/50 Raffle Coordinator:For home meets, this person coordinates the selling of 50/50 raffle tickets.
- Locker Room Monitor:This person periodically goes through the locker room to make sure kids are behaving and respecting property.