Oro Valley Swim Team Objectives
- To provide a program focused on character building, leadership, long-term development, and retention.
- To teach swimmers the importance of hard work and how it relates to success and personal satisfaction, then motivate and empower them to take ownership and responsibility for their training, goals, and dreams.
- To foster an environment where different goals and levels of commitment are still welcomed and given the chance to succeed.
- To instill in swimmers the belief and understanding that who they are as a person is more important than who they are as a swimmer.
Participation in Meets
In accordance with the Oro Valley Swim Team Mission Statement, and Team Objectives, participation in swim meets is an expected part of your involvement with the swim team.
Participation in meets is necessary for many reasons…
- It allows swimmers and coaches to measure progress being made, and identify areas that need more work (like a test in school).
- It allows swimmers to see why they are being taught particular things in practice.
- It teaches valuable life lessons such patience, delayed gratification, goal setting, dealing with success and difficulty, the importance of hard work, and striving to be the best that you can be.
- Most of practice is spent swimming laps or listening to the coach. Meets are where swimmers can bond with teammates and make new friends.
We understand that meets can be stressful for younger or ‘less competitive’ swimmers or their parents. However, the beauty of this sport is that swimmers are ‘competing’ against themselves, striving for improvement and learning to be the best that they can be. Unfortunately, we do not have room on the team for families that do not agree with or support these goals. As such, all registered swimmers will be expected to participate in meets.
Swim Meets and Meet Sign Ups (Please refer to the website for more information).
- The only way to sign up for swim meets is via the team website. Please double check that you have signed your swimmer(s) up correctly and saved your request. Verbal requests to sign a swimmer up will not be accepted.
- In order to have our team entries accepted at crowded meets, the team deadline for signing up may be much earlier than the entry deadlines listed in a meet flier. We will not accept late entries after our team entries are submitted.
- The coaching staff will choose which events swimmers will compete in. Swimmers are welcome to speak with their coaches before the entry deadline about their preferences.
- Once the entries have been submitted, parents are responsible for paying meet entry fees, even if their swimmer doesn’t swim.
- Swimmers may be removed from entered events, at the coach’s discretion, due to tardiness, fatigue, failure to meet behavioral expectations, lack of effort, missing a race, etc. Refunds will not be given.
- Swimmers are expected to be at the pool and ready to begin their practice (in appropriate suit or dryland attire and with any necessary equipment) before their practice begins. Any swimmer that arrives more than 10 minutes late to their afternoon practice without prior notification to their coach may be barred from participating that day.
- Swimmers are expected to clean up after themselves immediately, whether at practices, meets, or other team activities.
- Swimmers will not display disruptive, dangerous, or disrespectful behavior, poor sportsmanship, or perform other actions that reflect poorly on the team at any practice, meet, team event, or elsewhere (including online postings).
- Swimmers that are failing to meet academic expectations of the coach may be sent home or to do school work instead of their swim practice.
- Swimmers will not participate with other coaches or clubs during or between seasons (to include practices, tryouts, clinics, camps, private lessons, meetings, information sessions, etc) without the prior consent of the Head Coach.
- Swimmers will not be in possession, using, or associating with others possessing or using illegal drugs or alcohol at any time or location during the course of the season.
- Swimmers may not compete in non-approved or unscheduled meets (even if doing so as unattached).
- Swimmers are expected to be good leaders and teammates. As such, they will not speak poorly about or post negative comments (on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) about teammates, coaches, officials, parents, facilities, our team, other swimmers or other teams.
- Failure to follow any of these expectations may result in disciplinary actions or dismissal from the team.
- Please read and be aware of the swimmer expectations.
- Parents that display disruptive, dangerous, or disrespectful behavior, poor sportsmanship, or that perform other actions that reflect poorly on the team at any practice, meet, or other team event, may be suspended or banned from team functions to include practices, meets, or other activities, or may have their swimmers removed from the team without reimbursement.
- Parents are not allowed to argue with officials or protest calls at meets.
- Parents are not to coach their swimmers. This includes making corrections, giving feedback, suggesting race strategy, giving them goal times, bribing them, etc. Your job as a parent is to love and unconditionally support your swimmer- during good times and bad times.
- Parents will not allow their swimmer to participate with other coaches or clubs during or between seasons (to include practices, tryouts, clinics, camps, private lessons, meetings, information sessions, etc) without the prior consent of the Head Coach. This may result in the swimmer being suspended or dismissed from the team without reimbursement.
- Parents are not to approach or encourage swimmers or parents from other year-round or SAAA programs to switch to, ‘check out’, or ‘consider’ Oro Valley Swim Team. These actions constitute illegal recruitment and are prohibited by USA Swimming Rules. Violators of these rules risk being banned from practices or meets, or having their swimmer removed from the team without refund. Parents are welcome to answer any questions about our team or recommend our team AFTER first being approached by another parent or swimmer.
- The majority of our information and updates will be available through email, Facebook, and the team website.
- Active parent involvement is a necessary element for the continued success of the team.
- It is your responsibility to provide us with a current email address and be proactive in reading your email, checking the website, signing up for meets, meeting team deadlines, and to ask questions as needed.
Consent to use Swimmer’s Name and Picture
- By allowing your child to participate on Oro Valley Swim Team, you are giving your consent for pictures of your swimmer and/or their name to be used on the team website, Facebook page, and other social media sites.
- By registering with USA Swimming, your swimmers name, age, and meet results will be available online.
- Special situations or concerns should be addressed to the Head Coach.
Team Refund Policy
- If the swimmer needs to withdraw after the first day of the season for any reason, including injury, a prorated amount may be applied as credit to the subsequent swim season.
Waiver of Liability and Disclaimer/Medical Release: I understand that swimming is a potentially dangerous sport that may result in result in serious injury, or even death. These may result not only from my own swimmer’s actions/inactions, but from action/inaction/negligence of others, the conditions of equipment, facilities, or other locations used for training or competition. I agree to assume the risk in participation with the swim team and give consent to participate in said program. I do hereby agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless the Town of Oro Valley, Oro Valley Aquatic Center, their agents or employees, Oro Valley Swim Team, and all associated coaches, officials, parents, volunteers, swimmers, and representatives, from any and all liabilities, claims, suits, demands and causes of action which may arise from participation with the team. I also give Oro Valley Swim Team and its coaching staff permission to administer first aid and to act on my behalf in seeking medical treatment from, and allowing transport by emergency medical services to, any licensed physician, licensed dentist, hospital, or clinic for my swimmer(s) in the event that such treatment is deemed necessary. I give permission to those administering medical treatment to do so using methods deemed necessary. I absolve Oro Valley Swim Team and its coaching staff from all liability while acting on my behalf in this regard. It is understood that efforts shall be made to contact the undersigned prior to rendering treatment to the patient but that any of the above treatment will not be withheld if the undersigned cannot be reached. I do not hold Oro Valley Swim Team responsible for any medical costs. I also hold all above parties harmless from any claim arising out of injury or conditions caused by or aggravated by refusal to obtain treatment based on religious or philosophical beliefs.