Parent & Swimmer Code of Conduct (click here to download a PDF)
Parent & Swimmer Code of Conduct
As a member of the Vitras Swim Club (VSC), I am part of a swimming organization that believes Value, Integrity, Training, Racing, Attitude, Sportsmanship. By signing this Code of Conduct, I agree to follow the rules for behavior and sportsmanship while I am a member of VSC. The following behavior guidelines state the principles VSC expects all members to demonstrate and uphold.
VSC is fortunate to have experienced, professional coaches working to develop our children into better swimmers, and more importantly, teaching and instilling important life skills . These skills include time-management, self-discipline, and sportsmanship. Your child will reap the benefits of swimming long after his/her participation with VSC ends. As parents, it is absolutely essential that we give our coaching staff the respect and authority they deserve to run our swim team. Our coaches are hired for that purpose and the Head Coach oversees the direction of the staff.
PART I – PARENTS CODE of CONDUCT
• Set the right example for our children by showing respect and common courtesies at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents, and for all facilities and other property used during practice or competition.
• Respect the integrity of swim officials by assuming decisions are based on honest, objective evaluations of performance. Only coaches may approach meet officials for clarification of rulings.
• Be an active participant in all fundraising events and other team activities and encourage and support your child by permitting them to be timely for practices and competitions.
• Realize that swimmers become easily confused when coached by parents and benefit most from positive reinforcement of the professional coaching staff’s instructions and advice. Your unconditional love and support before and after races will help them best.
• Recognize that VSC coaches are professionals and allow them to coach your child without interference during workouts and meets, including not being present behind the blocks at competitions unless you are volunteering at the meet, not sitting behind the start or turn end of the pool during practice, and respecting the coach’s space and belongings at practice and meets.
• If you have concerns, you will address it with the appropriate coach in private, setting up a time through email with the coach.
• Insist that your child refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, drugs, other prohibited substances, violence, abusive or foul language, inappropriate sexual conduct, or any other behavior deemed dishonest, discourteous, offensive or disrespectful of others.
PART II – PARENT – BASIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist the coaches in conducting effective practices by ensuring swimmers arrive and leave on time, and bring the proper equipment.
• Arrive at meets in time for volunteer or swimmer check in, stretching and warm-ups. • Know your role: Swimmers -Swim /Coaches – Coach /Officials – Officiate /Parents – Parent
• Call or meet with coaches during normal business hours before or after practice/ meets to discuss issues, not during practice times or meets.
• Do not coach your child at practice or during meets, that is the coach’s job.
• Assist the coaches by not talking with swimmers during practice time unless clearing it with a coach first.
• Do not interrupt or confront the coaching staff on the pool deck during practice or
Be respectful in all methods of communication with coaches. Disrespect for coaches
will not be tolerated.
• Trust and support your swimmer’s and coach’s decisions around goal-setting, training commitments, swim event entries, and meet schedules.
• Get involved....be an official, work on a committee, help plan a fundraiser, help plan a group social. Find something you enjoy!
• Share the burden among parents by volunteering to help at meets and team events. • Pay your fees on time.
Parents of swimmers 10 & under must be accompanied by an adult to the pool deck until practice begins, and parents of swimmers 10 & under must pick up swimmers on the pool deck at the designated practice end time.
• Know and uphold VSC rules, regulations, management and coach directives, and by-laws that are designed to maximize the experience for all swimmers and parents.
Sanctions: Should I conduct myself in such a way that violates the parent code of conduct or parent basic responsibilities, I voluntarily subject myself to disciplinary action. Vitras Swim Club maintains the right to terminate any membership with/without cause in the interest of our vision, mission and objectives.
PART III – SWIMMER CODE of CONDUCT
• Make every team practice, meet participation and activity an opportunity to learn.
• Swimmers are expected to remember that at practice, during swim meets, team activities and in public they are representing VSC. They should represent VSC with excellence, respect, team spirit, good sportsmanship, and politeness.
• Swimmers are expected at all times to follow the directions of any member of the coaching staff, respect any instructions by officials and any person who is a chaperone. Disrespect or failure to obey instructions will not be tolerated from any athlete.
• Swimmers are expected to show respect, common courtesies and good sportsmanship at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents and for all facilities and other property used during practices, competitions and team activities.
• Swimmers should be punctual and arrive on time for all practices and meets and team events. Pool time is very valuable.
• Swimmers are expected to attend all team meetings, practice sessions and swim meets (if registered for meets), unless excused by staff or have made special arrangements with their coach.
• Swimmers must notify the coach in advance if they are planning to leave practice or swim meets early.
• Swimmers are expected to wear VSC team caps, team swim suits at all swim meets. This displays team pride and also makes it easier to identify swimmers on the blocks and in the water.
• Swimmers should be an active participant in all team practices, competitions, fundraising events and other team activities.
• Focus on every drill and every set. Be committed to putting forth your best effort everyday. An honest effort does not include cutting laps, pulling on lane lines or missing send offs/sets.
• Disruption of practice by an athlete will be grounds for removal. Continual cheating in a practice will be considered a disruption of practice.
• The coaches are there to help the swimmers. Swimmers are expected to pay attention and follow all of the coach’s instructions completely and exactly. If any clarification is needed, they are to ask questions politely.
• Swimmers are expected to use appropriate language. Use of profane or abusive language or obscene gestures will not be tolerated.
• Dishonestly, theft, and/or vandalism will not be tolerated.
• Destructive behavior will not be tolerate.
• There shall be no drinking of alcohol or use of tobacco products or illegal drugs or any substances banned by USA Swimming.
• Swimmers are expected to respect each other. Fighting, intentional touching or striking another athlete will subject the swimmer to discipline.
Swimmers are expected to follow the spirit of the rules as well as the specific rules. The coach must adapt this philosophy to an infinite number of situations. Swimmers are asked to respect the coach’s directions and give their full cooperation. Cooperation with teammates and staff will produce a productive practice environment and competitive environment for all.
PART IV – VIOLATION OF THE CODE – SWIMMERS
The coaches have the authority to impose the following penalties for violation of the Vitras Swim Club Code of Conduct. The penalties include, but are not limited to, the following:
The swimmer will be given a verbal warning.
The swimmer will be pulled out of practice in addition to a verbal warning.
The swimmer will need to be accompanied by a parent at practice for four (4) consecutive days.
If the swimmer continues his/her behavior, he/she will be suspended for one (1) week. (There will be NO prorated fee for monthly dues.)
If the swimmers disciplinary problem continues, the swimmer and parent will meet with the coach to discuss the problem further.
The penalty assessed to a swimmer violating the code of conduct will be determined at the sole discretion of the coach based upon the severity of the violation.
I agree that if I violate any of these rules, I will be subject to disciplinary action determined by the coaches, which may include expulsion from the team.
By placing your name below you agree that you have reviewed the Vitras Swim Club, LLC Code of Conduct with the registered athlete and the athlete understands the Vitras Swim Club, LLC Code of Conduct and that you (the parent/guardian) and the swimmer agree to abide by this Code and accept the penalties for not abiding by these.
_________________________________ Swimmer’s Signature
________________________________ Parent’s Signature