Code Of Conduct Desert Swim Team
Parent Swimmer Contract, Code of Conduct and Team Rules for Desert Swim team, Victorville Club Swimmers (created 9.2018)
· Swimmers shall respect and show courtesy to their teammates and coaches at all times.
· If a parent /swimmer have a problem with a coach, it is their responsibility to communicate the problem with that coach. If the problem escalates or can’t be resolved in this manner, the parent/ swimmer is to take the issue up with the head coach, who will help to resolve any issues.
· Be on time. Be ready to get in the water on time for practice and meet warm-ups. Be prepared to swim. Have your equipment ready. Bring extra caps and goggles
· Be respectful of your teammate’s feelings and personal space. Swimmers who exhibit sexist, racist or inappropriate behavior towards another person will be excused from the practice or meet and will be subject to a disciplinary process as determined by the head coach depending on the severity of the infraction. Any coach at any time has authority to ask a swimmer to exit the pool for disciplinary reasons.
· No dunking, foul language, hanging on lane lines, splashing, spitting, hitting, trash talking, belittling or any other behavior deemed as horseplay is allowed in a practice venue or meet venue.
· Swimsuits are required for practice. No bikinis as a primary practice suit, no cut-offs or under garments are allowed to be used as primary swim wear in the pool. Deck changing is forbidden (per USA Swimming Rules) as is shaving at swim meets (prevention of communicable diseases).
· Skateboards, scooters, glass, tobacco, alcohol, roller blades, pets, electrical appliances, and bicycles are not allowed on deck.
· Swimmers are expected to exhibit good sportsmanship at practice and meets.
· Swimmers and Parents shall not ever confront an official or stoke and turn judge at a meet about a disqualification. This is the coach’s responsibility. Swimmers and parents will be respectful and courteous to meet volunteers at all times. If you have a problem, come get your coach.
· Destruction of locker rooms and theft of property will be prosecuted under the law. The swimmer and family of swimmer will be responsible for all damages and fees incurred upon collection or prosecution of damages.
· Swimmers must wear a team cap of the Desert Swim Team and team shirt at swim meets, or sweatshirt. (this is not an option)
DSRT swim caps are to be worn at practice to show team unity and strength.
· Swimmers who are ill with contagious viruses and open wounds must tell their coach before entering the water.
· A swimmer who is injured at practice or a meet must report this to their coach immediately following an injury.
· Swimmers are responsible for checking in, checking postings, and heat and lane assignments, reporting to their coach and for being behind their block prior to their race. A swimmer will suffer consequences (fees, removal from an event or the meet, no show or disqualification) as per the meet sanction or the directive of your coach for missing an event.
· Swimmers must be at practice a minimum of three days during the week before a meet. A coach has the right to scratch a swimmer from a meet if the swimmer has not been excused for their absences prior to the meet.
· I understand that USA Swimming and Southern California Swimming is an organization of trained volunteers and paid professional officials. Meets are operated by volunteers. I agree to treat volunteers and swim meet officials with respect.
Specific Team Parent Rules
· Practice teamwork with all parents, swimmers and coaches by supporting the values of discipline, loyalty, commitment and hard work.
· As a parent, I will not coach or instruct the team or any swimmer at a practice or meets (from the stands or any other area) or interfere with coaches on the pool deck.
· Demonstrate good sportsmanship by conducting myself in a manner that earns the respect of my child, other swimmers, parents, officials and the coaches at the meets and practices.
· Parents shall refrain from disrupting the practice in any way. Parents are not allowed to talk to their swimmer or interrupt practice unless an emergency or immediate safety concerns as this disrupts the entire group and focus of the practice session. Parents are asked to wait by the bleachers or by the side of the brick wall and may view their swimmer from there.
· Parents are expected to keep non-swimming siblings from running around on the deck unsupervised during practice, as this is a distraction and of safety concern. Non-swimming children shall be supervised by a responsible adult while participating in any USA swimming sanctioned activity
· Parents are encouraged TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR CHILD’S COACH. The appropriate time is well before practice. Communicating with coaches during practice disrupts the workout for the entire group. We want to talk with you. You can email us and can request a return call or appointment or visit with us after practice.
· Parents are expected to time and volunteer for jobs as needed by our club at swim meets
· Parents are encouraged to volunteer for activities, swim meets, and participate in our team fundraising. Parents are expected to help pull covers off the pool before practice and to pull the covers back on the pool after practice. Please ask any one of the board members or even parents on deck if you have any questions regarding helping.
· Maintain self-control at all times. Know my role: Swimmers - Swim; Coaches - Coach; Officials Officiate; Parents - Parent.
· I , as a parent, I understand that criticizing, name-calling, use of abusive language or gestures directed toward the coaches, officials, and/or any participating swimmer or their family will not be permitted or tolerated.
· Enjoy involvement in the Desert Aquatics Swim Team in Victorville Club by supporting the swimmers, coaches and other parents with positive communication and actions.
· During competitions, questions or concerns regarding decisions made by meet officials are directed to a member of our coaching staff. Parents address officials via the coaching staff only.
· Young children (swimmers) shall be supervised by their parent or guardian in the locker rooms.
· I agree to let the coach know of any other activity that involves rigorous physical activity that my child may be involved in order to prevent injury, exhaustion or illness. It is especially important to notify the head coach and coaching staff any other swimming related activity and or weight training program.
· I agree to provide my child with a sensible nutrition before and immediately following practice. I understand that swimmers have a special carbohydrate and calorie intake need.
· Share the burden among parents by volunteering to time at meets at which our children are swimmers; volunteer to help at swim meets our club hosts, whether our children participate or not.
· Support my swimmer in attending practices regularly, plus facilitating the attendance of at least one swim meet per month.
Team Travel Policy
This policy conforms to the USA Swimming SafeSport Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP)
I hereby agree to abide by and follow section 305.5D of the USA Swimming Code of Conduct stipulations in the USA Swimming Rule book. A signature on this document constitutes an unconditional agreement to comply with the team rules and the USA Swimming Code of Conduct.
Team managers and chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming administered back ground check. (305.5B)
Regardless of gender a coach may not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangement with an athlete (unless the coach is a parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that athlete) (305.5A)
When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, the athlete must have his/her parents (or legal guardian’s) permission in advance to travel alone with the coach (305.5C)
DSRT Victorville Coaches are not allowed to transport or drive any athlete, at any time without the express written consent of the legal guardian (parent) and the written permission of the Head Coach. This must be filed in advance of transportation with the head Coach at the DSRT office and must be approved. Coaches who drive athletes assume liability, must provide proof of insurance, and understand that they are not indemnified by the club. DSRT parents are not allowed to transport other athletes without a written consent from the swimmer’s parent or legal guardian. The DSRT Swim Club or assumes no liability for transportation of athletes, and all parties agree to hold harmless and indemnify Desert Swim Team Club and its agents and from liability arising out of any and all claims.
During overnight team travel, if athletes are paired with other athletes the athletes should be of same gender and should be similar age. Athletes who are 13 and over will have chaperones staying in rooms that are of close proximity if required. Athletes, who are 12 and under traveling on DSRT team meets, must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, unless a waiver was signed by the legal guardian (this may be subject to change depending on chaperone availability). LSC meet conduct and policy shall be followed when team members attend those meets.
Curfews shall be established by the staff each day of the meet. Athletes agree to abide by curfews.
Social media, texting calling friends will not be allowed after curfew has been set. A remind message will go out to notify parents of the curfew to keep parents up to date.
Team members and staff traveling with the team will attend all team functions, including meetings, practices, meals, meet sessions, etc. unless otherwise excused or instructed by the head coach or his/her designee.
The directions and decisions of coaches/chaperones are final.
Swimmers are expected to remain with the team at all times during the trip. Swimmers are not to leave the competition venue, the hotel, a restaurant or any other place at which the team has gathered without the permission of the coach or chaperone.
When visiting public places such as shopping malls, movie theatres, etc., swimmers will stay in groups of no less than three persons. 12 & under athletes will be accompanied by a chaperone always.
No room service without permission from coach or chaperone.
Swimmers are responsible for all incidental charges.
Swimmers are responsible for any damages or thievery at hotel.
Must participate in contracted group meals such as breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Travel trip minimum age 10 years old unless approved by Head coach.
Travel trip athletes will be selected by head coach, Minimum requirement 85% attendance.
Upon Head coach approval, depending on location, will determine whether parents will be allowed or not for travel meets, this is to be determined by the Head Coach and no one else and communicated to parents prior to the meet by the Head Coach via phone, meeting, and or email.
The Head coach shall report any code of conduct violation to the appropriate club/LSC leadership and legal guardian of any affected minor.
Athletes are to refrain from any inappropriate physical contact at team activities and events (No laying on beds together).
Team members and staff will refrain from any illegal or inappropriate behavior that would detract from a positive image of the team or would be detrimental to its performance objectives
Parents and swimmers agree to follow team rules while traveling. (When parents are permitted to go) Will vary from meet to meet on parent traveling.
Team members and parents are reminded that when they are traveling on trips, competing in team meets, and attending other meet-related functions, they are representing both themselves and DSRT Aquatics of Victorville. Athlete and parent behavior must positively reflect the high standards of the club and Southern California Swimming.
Failure to comply with the Honor Code and team rules as set forth in this document may result in disciplinary action. Such discipline may include but may not be limited to:
Dismissal from the trip and immediate return home at the expense of the athlete and their parent.
Disqualification from one or more events of a competition.
Disqualification from future team travel meets.
Dismissal from the team
Proceedings for an LSC or USA Swimming Board of Review
All disciplinary actions will be determined by the head coach with the exception of Dismissal from the team.
Typically, a two-strike rule will be used depending on the severity of the violation. A severe violation may not receive a warning before disciplinary action.
The board of directors will vote to approve all membership dismissals recommended by the Head coach.
I agree that my child (swimmer) and I will follow USA and Southern California Swimming procedures and rules. Failure to abide by these guidelines will result in the termination of my swimmer's membership with Desert Aquatics.