Classes of Competition
(Please consult the (SCS) Website for specifics-SCS link available on the Murrieta Mako’s website) In order to equalize the competition, swimmers are divided by age group and gender. The age groups are currently classified in two year blocks: ages 5-6, 7-8 (usually grouped as 8 & under); 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, and 17-18 (usually grouped as 15 & up). Senior swimming is a step beyond age group competition and is normally structured for those at or close to national championship levels. Age group skill classifications range from White to Sectional levels. Advancements are determined by meeting nationally established time standards at sanctioned meets. Such time standards are revised and published annually in the Southern California Swimming Swim Guide. Brief descriptions of various time standards are provided below:
· White Beginning level for all age group swimmers.
· Red Begins with the 8 & under age group swimmers who meet the minimum time standard to qualify. · Blue Begins with the 8 & under age group swimmers who meet the (higher) minimum time standard to qualify.
· JAG/WAG June Age Group and Winter Age Group Championship Meets. Begins with the 10 & under age group and goes up to the 17-18 age group (5 age groups). Swimmers must meet the minimum time standards to attend these meets
· Junior Olympic (JO’s) - Junior Olympics. An age group championship meet conducted by the LSC.
· NACC- This is an elite Southern California Swimming All-Star Team that competes against Canada, Mexico, and another invited LSC from the USA.
Begins with the 10 & under age group and goes up to the 17-18 age group (5 age groups). The time standards for this meet (held in rotation: USA, Canada, Mexico) vary from year to year so that SCS can put together the most competitive team possible. Further information on this competition can be found on the SCS website @ www.socalswim.org
· SCSRT Southern California Swimming Reportable Time - Top 16 swimmers in each event, in each of the 5 age groups, for each sex (10&U, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18) make up the qualifying times for the following year.
· NRT National Reportable Time – Top 16 swimmers in each event (same as SCSRT but for the whole nation). SCS athletes that are ranked in the national top 16 are invited to the annual banquet.
· Senior Meets are all classified as “Open” events. Open Available for 11 & over age group swimmers who meet the minimum time standards that are set by SCS and USA Swimming annually. "Open" events are sometimes part of age group competition where all swimmers, ages 11 & over swim together based on entry time. The following is a list of USA Swimming Open Senior Events, in order from the least to the most challenging qualifying times: 1. Senior Development 4. Junior Nationals 2. Senior “Q” 5. Senior Nationals 3. Sectional Champs 6. U.S. Open 7. World Championships (every 2 years) and Olympic Trials (held every 4 years)