Below is a list of common equipment used by competitive swimmers. Not all equipment is required for every swimmer, your child’s coach will tell you exactly what your swimmer needs.
MUST HAVES FOR THE NEW SWIMMER
- Goggles: Swimmers use goggles to protect their eyes from the chlorine as well as to gain a clear view of their surroundings in the pool. There are a variety of colors and styles depending on the preference of the swimmer. Goggles range from $7 – $30.
- Cap: Caps are designed to keep hair out of the swimmer's face and goggle straps in place. Caps range from $4 - $20. Trent Swim Club caps can be purchased for $10 (ask your coach).
- Practice Suit: Practice suits are used during workouts. They are created with a stronger material for durability. Suits range from $30-$80 depending on material and brand.
ITEMS YOU NEED IN AG1 and Beyond
- Mesh Bag: A mesh bag is used by swimmers to hold their training equipment. Mesh bags range from $6 - $20.
- Kickboard: A kickboard is a floating device used by swimmers during practice to enhance their kicking skills. Kickboards range from $7 - $25.
- Fins: Fins fit on a swimmer's feet to increase kicking speed during practice. Fins range from $20 – $50.
- Paddles: Paddles are a plastic device placed on a swimmer's hands during practice. to add resistance to the pulling phase of the stroke. There are a variety of paddles available, depending on the purpose of the pulling drill. Speak to your child's coach to ensure you purchase the most appropriate paddles. Paddles range from $8 - $20.
- Pull Buoy: A pull-buoy sits between the swimmer's legs to enhance body position during a pull set when the swimmer is not kicking. Pull buoys range from $7 – $12.
- Racing Suit: Introductory swimmers may wear the same suit in which they practice, only a little bit tighter. As a swimmer advances to the higher (faster) levels, you may consider purchasing a racing suit which is considerably tighter and beads off water. An entry level racing suit can be a few hundred dollars.
FOR ADVANCED SWIMMERS
- Competition Suit: Competition suits are used during meets. There are a number of brands and styles, depending on a swimmers preference and body type. Women’s competition suits range from $85 – $650. Men's suits range from $35 - $500.
TRENT SWIM CLUB and ProTech
The Trent Swim Club competitive suits can be purchased at ProTech in Peterborough.