Overview: Tier 3 is for athletes who have achieved their sub 4 minute 200 IM standard (roster space permitting and coach recommendation only) and are working towards training competency at the provincial level. Our main focus is improving athletes ability to swim the four competitive strokes for longer distances as well as advancing their fitness level working towards provincial qualifying times. These swimmers also continue refining their competitive starts and turns for each of the four strokes. We also continue with a dry-land component to encourage fitness outside of the water and promote flexibility.
Our objective for swimmers in this group is to continue having fun while advancing each swimmer's technique, speed, and overall fitness level. The performance objective for this level is to advance the swimmer from the under 4 minute 200IM qualifier to the Tier I or Tier II provincial qualifying.
Sub 4 minute 200 IM standard
Minimum age: 9
** Please note that the Pre-requisites are for reference only; swimmers will be put into the appropriate group following their assessment.
Swimmers' Commitment and Goals:
- Attend a minimum of 80-85% of practices
- Aim for "Tier I" or "Tier II" standards in your age group.
- Attend as many swim meets and social events as possible on your schedule.
- Commit at the beginning of the season to attend all VKSC hosted meets and Championship meets you qualify or are eligible for.
- Show a desire to train and compete, to set personal and team goals, and to consistently improve.
- 6. Have fun!
- Arrange to have your swimmer attend all practices and as many of the other offered camps and events as possible. You are highly encouraged to initiate carpooling with other parents in the group or similar group schedule at this stage.
- Contact your coach by email to let them know if your swimmer may miss a practice or event.
- Stay informed by reading and responding to:emails, website, bulletin board. Communicate with your swimmer’s coach on a regular basis via email, post-practice chat, or scheduled meetings.
- Parent Participation. Assist with volunteering/officiating at meets and further your Officials qualifications per the club volunteer policy. Get involved with other events through the year.
Team Gear and Equipment Requirements
Tier 3 and Tier 4 - 2 pairs goggles, 2 VKSC team caps, VKSC team racing suit, snorkel, small kick board, fins, mesh bag, pull buoy (Tier 3 only), VKSC team t-shirt, water bottle (very important)
Swim schedule and fees are posted under the Resources tab on the website homepage.