Parent Code of Conduct
- I will familiarize myself with, and adhere to, all rules and regulations in the Club Handbook.
- I will keep current on what’s happening in the Club by regularly reading notices on the Club Bulletin Board or on the website.
- I will be responsible for ensuring that my swimmer adheres to their Code of Conduct and Expectations, along with the Swim Alberta Code of Conduct and Ethics (click here)
- I will not force my child to participate in swimming. I will remember that my child swims for his/her enjoyment, not mine. However, if my child chooses to be a member of the WOSC, I will encourage her/him to attend as many practices and meets as she/he can and participate in club and fundraising activities.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that he/she will never feel defeated by the outcome of the competition. I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for swimming hard and competing fairly. I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake of losing a race.
- I will encourage my child to resolve conflict without resorting to poor behavior.
- I will remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good performances by both my child’s team swimmers and competing team swimmers. I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public. If I see, or my child reports, an upsetting incident involving another swimmer, I will bring it to the attention of the Coach/Parent Liaison. I will not confront the swimmer or their parent(s) about the incident.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from swimming practices and competitions. Swim Alberta has zero tolerance for this behavior.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to swimming for my child.
- I will allow coaches to do the coaching. I will not converse with them during practices or meets.
- If I wish to discuss something with them I will arrange to do so before or after practices or meets. I will direct any coaching concerns or complaints to the Coach/Parent Liaison in written form.
- I will stay off the pool deck during practices and meets unless I have been requested to do a specific job there. For insurance purposes, parents are not allowed on deck.
- I will participate in fundraising activities and work at club meets.
- I will also follow the Swim Alberta Code of Conduct and Ethics (click here )
Please note: You are required to agree to the Parents Code of Conduct to be able to join WOSC.