The Junior Intermediate program is reserved for swimmers 9-12 years old seeking to progress to the Junior Advanced group and compete at the Red/White level. Athletes are selected for this training group by the Jr Int Coach and will have every opportunity for success. Participation in the program means the athlete and their family are fully committed to their performance goals. The environment is supportive and we strive to ensure that every athlete gets the personalized attention they need to meet or exceed their swimming goals.
The Junior Intermediate program practices five days per week for 1 hr The swimmers in this group will have the opportunity to compete in local and statewide swim meets.
COSTS & COMMITMENTS: This program costs $110.00 a month. Annual USA Swimming membership is required to participate in this program: Either Premium Membership ($68) or Flex Membership ($20). Note Flex Membership allows members to compete in only two swim meets per year, and may be upgraded to the Premium Membership at any time.
There are no additional fees or family volunteer requirements to participate.
Junior Intermediate Group Criteria
The Jr Intermediate Group practice is offered five times per week. The Jr Intermediate group is the first competitive group for ages 9-12 within the PDSC program. This is the introductory group to higher level competitive swimming. Striving to achieve the goals of the Jr Intermediate group will prepare swimmers for Senior swimming.
This program is intended for the age group swimmers that have goals of advancing their swimming career as far as possible. We are looking for swimmers that have lofty goals. The practice direction, structure and difficulty will be designed to meet those goals
Jr Intermediate swimmers are expected to attend a minimum of three practices per week to remain in the group. Special exceptions may be cleared with the group coach on an absence by absence basis.
Swimmers entering the Junior Intermediate Group must be at least 9 years old and complete the following:
- 10x100@ 1:40
- 8x50@ 1:10 Kick
- Swim under 1:20 in 100yd freestyle
- Swim Red qualifying times in main events (2)
Expectations of the Junior Intermediate Group:
- Attend practice three times per week
- Achieve SCS White/Red time standards
- Continue to develop goal-setting skills
- Improve proficiency in turns
- Show and demonstrate proficiency in all strokes
- Use underwater fly kicking as a tool in racing
- Actively improve distance per stroke
- Actively demonstrate the basics
- Competition at swim meets is expected in this group.
- Active in club fundraising
Goals and Other areas of Swimmer Accountability for the Junior Intermediate Group:
- Actively improve technique
- Attendance should improve, not decline as the athlete matures
- Training attitudes should be more productive and supportive as the athlete gets older
- Athletes must conduct themselves in a manner appropriate to actions needed to promote and support the goals of the team