Thank you for choosing to take swimming lessons at ECAC! We will always strive to make your experience as pleasant as possible. If for any reason you are less than satisfied, please talk with the staff and let us work together to find a solution to your concerns. In order to ensure that your experience is as enjoyable as possible, here are some things you should know before your first class.
- ECAC was built in 1971 and unfortunately family locker rooms were not popular at this time. We do not have family locker rooms at our facility. We ask that children over the age of 6 use the locker room appropriate to their gender. Children older than 6 that still require assistance will be allowed to go into the locker room with their parents, but if there are concerns from other families we may need to find alternative solutions.
- When arriving at ECAC, please enter and exit through the locker rooms. The hallway leading from the front office to the pool is for staff only.
- Although we have lockers, they currently do not lock. We are working on a solution to this issue. We recommend patrons bring their items out on deck where they can be easily watched.
What to Bring
- Bring swimming suits, towels, and all showering supplies.
- Bring goggles & swim caps (not a requirement).
- Bring swimming diapers for all toddlers and preschoolers.
- Do not bring floatation devices.
- There is no need to check in when arriving. On the first day of classes, instructors will call off student’s names on the pool deck. Instructors have lists with all of their students and will track student’s attendance.
- Each class is 30 minutes long with the exception of our Developmental and Pre-Comp classes which are 45 minutes long.
- Parents do not need to get into the water with their pre-school students.
- Our pool temperature is kept at 84 degrees and is above the recommended temperature of the American Red Cross. Most kids do fine at this temperature, but small children may get cold after 30 minutes in the pool. Rash guards and wet suits help kids keep warm.
Students and Learning
- Beginner students, especially those in the P1 class do cry sometimes. Our instructors are prepared to deal with crying students and attendance is still encouraged. We recommend children attend class each day and remain with their teacher through the duration of the lesson. Children often do better when the parent distances themselves farther away from their child and it is important for learning that students bond with their teacher. We ask all parents to sit in a chair or in the bleachers at a comfortable distance away from their children.
- Swimming takes time to learn! Students may take several months to complete each level before moving on to the next one. This is completely normal as all children learn at their own pace. We focus on correct technique in our swimming lesson program and this takes time to master. You should evaluate your and your child’s goals in order to determine a comfortable level to complete.
- Do you want your children to have a good understanding of basic swimming technique and comfort in the water? If so, completing P2/B2 is probably an adequate goal.
- Do you want to feel confident your child can swim and be safe around the water? Than going through our Intermediate level is probably a good idea for your child.
- Does your child love swimming and want to move on to compete on swim team one day? Completing our Advanced and Pre-Comp programs may be a good goal for your child.
- All students enrolled in the current session of lessons may attend our public swim times for free. We encourage families to take advantage of this so that children may get extra practice time and learn to have fun in the water. Parents do need to pay for themselves and children under the age of 6 must be accompanied by an adult.
Parents and Instructors
- Communication between parents and instructors is encouraged. Feel free to gain the attention of your instructor at the beginning and end of classes in order to ask any questions.
- You know your child better than anyone. If you have any helpful advice about your child for your instructor, feel free to tell them.
Refunds and Credits
- As a general rule refunds will not be given. If you are unsatisfied with your child's class or instructor, please talk to the front desk staff and we can switch your child into a different class if there is room available. If no room is available we will issue credits to be used towards a future session of lessons.
- Evergreen Community Aquatic Center is not responsible for any classes the student may miss and will not pro-rate the class fee for a missed class.
- If you must cancel your class for any reason a credit will be issued that can be used towards a future session of lessons. All cancelations must be made 48 hours in advance.
- No credits or refunds will be issued for classes that have already been missed or that were made after the 48 hour point. In the rare case that a refund is issued a $5 processing fee will be deducted from the total cost of classes.
- Make-up classes cannot be offered.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. We are happy to help in any way we can. Enjoy your classes!