2017-2018 Volunteer Policy
ERW Swim Meet Volunteer Requirements
- Serve as an active member on the Board of Directors. Positions are filled in May for the coming year. Additional incentives are added to the Board of Director positions. See explanation below.
- Volunteer as a USA Swimming Official. See explanation below.
- Unless a family member is serving as an active member on the Board or is volunteering as a USA Swimming Official, at home meets, the following volunteer requirements must be met:
- For families with 1 swimmer:
- Family must fill a total of 2 volunteer positions (provide 1 volunteer at 2 of 3 sessions)
- If volunteer requirement is not met, swimmer account will be charged $100 per session that a volunteer was not provided following the meet.
- For families with 2 or more swimmers:
- Family must fill a total of 3 volunteer positions (provide 1 volunteer at each of the 3 sessions or 1 volunteer at one session and 2 volunteers at another session).
- If volunteer requirement is not met, swimmer account will be charged $100 per session per volunteer that was not provided following the meet.
- Additional volunteer requirements for all meets that the ERW is hosting or co-hosting (8&U Championships, Silver Circuit, Districts, etc.):
- For meets held at Eaton High School Pool or sponsored/hosted by ERW ALL families with active swimmer(s) must fill a total of 1 volunteer position per session.
- Non-ERW sponsored swim meets at which timers from ERW are required (e.g. District or League Meets), participating swimmer families will be expected to time for a portion of the session for which their swimmer is participating if needed.
- If volunteer requirement is not met, swimmer account will be charged $50 per session that a volunteer was not provided following the meet.
Definitions/Exceptions to Volunteer Requirements
- An eligible swimmer is any swimmer who meets the entry qualifications for the meet (age and/or times) and is not receiving a High School Voucher at the time of the meet.
- If a swimmer has chosen not to participate in Spring Splash or Fall Fest (due to travel, illness, or other commitments), or if a swimmer is not swimming the month of the meet, the volunteer requirement must still be met in full by the swimmer/swimmer family unless prior arrangements have been made with the Meet Director and the volunteer position(s) are fulfilled by another member of the club (in addition to their own volunteer requirement).
- Some volunteer positions can be fulfilled by children under the age of 13. Other positions must be filled by an adult or child 13 years of age or older. Each volunteer sign-up will indicate if age requirements apply. For example, lane timers should be 13 years of age or older. The rules of USA Swimming specify that, "No swimmer shall be required to re-swim a race due to equipment failure which results in unrecorded or inaccurate time or place. The accurate timing and recording of each swimmer's performance are essential."
- Exception: Any eligible swimmer, who under a physician's order is not allowed to swim, (e.g. recovering from surgery) is not required to fulfill volunteer positions. A note from the health care provider must be provided to the Board.
Signing Up for Volunteer Positions
Note: All above volunteer requirements must be fulfilled for any swimmer to be supported by ERW Swim Club following the Championship/Travel Meet policy.
Accident or Injury While Volunteering
- Please be aware that in the event of an accident or injury, volunteers are not covered by Eaton Red Waves Swim Club insurance.
- All members should have their own personal insurance that covers them in the event of an accident or injury while volunteering for an Eaton Red Waves event or activity.