Age Range: 9-11 years old
Practice Requirements: Minimum 5 x/ week for the Advanced 9-10 yr olds who have or are close to a CT Age Group Championship Qualifying time standard
- This group is only for swimmers who are highly experienced at the age group level of competitive swimming.
- Swimmers are skilled in all four competitive strokes and have qualified for CT Age Group Championship in at least one event.
- Stroke technique will be emphasized, but there will be an increased proportion of conditioning with interval training.
- At this level, there is a high expectation of teamwork and a positive attitude.
- Swimmers are expected to participate in all age-appropriate meets, both at home and away. In meets, swimmers will be expected to compete in the 50 yards and 100-yard and 200-yard events in all four strokes as well as the 100 and 200 individual medley and 500 freestyle as they become ready.
- Relay participation is expected for all members of this group as well.
- In addition, swimmers will be asked to participate in one or more travel meets per year where they will stay overnight in the area if they have the time standards and practice attendance requirements.
All Thunder and Lightning Group swimmers should get the following gear.
1. Snorkel – Finis “Original” Swimmer’s Snorkel
2. Paddles – Finis Agility Paddles (Small)
3. Fins - Finis “Positive Drive” Fins
(recommended for 9/10)
4. FINIS Floating Swim Fins
5. Speedo Mesh Gear Bag
- Swimmers should also bring a water bottle, extra goggles, and extra caps to every practice.