The cut-off for updating coach certifications is the Wednesday preceding the weekend meet.
NEW COACH MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS CHECKLIST
- Membership Application - Complete the AMS 2020 Non-Athlete Membership Application on line on the AMS web site. Please select the correct form for either Club (club pays registration fee) or Unattached (you will be required to pay when you submit the form). Registration forms and links can be found at www.amswim.org.(click the Registration Info button on the right)
- CPR/AED Certification - Obtain USA Swimming-approved adult & pediatric CPR/AED certification(must maintain a current certification at all times) – see list of approved courses in the step by step list at the bottom of the www.usaswimming.org/coachmember page.
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches – see list of approved courses in the step by step list at the bottom of the www.usaswimming.org/coachmember page. (Must maintain a current certification at all times).
- Concussion Protocol Training – Coaches should take the concussion training to meet their state requirements. In states where no such law exists, coaches can take the training through the Centers for Disease Control or the National Federation of State High School Associations.
- Criminal Background Check - www.usaswimming.org/backgroundcheck ($39). Anyone who has lived in New York State may have to pay more and the process may be delayed due to NY requirements.
- Athlete Protection Training (APT) Course www.usaswimming.org/apt – Current and previous members can access the course at any time. This course is offered at no charge. New members cannot begin the course until their membership applications have been processed. Once the membership application has been processed, the coach will receive an email confirmation and at that time the APT log-in procedure can begin. (An error message will appear during the log in if the new member’s application hasn’t been processed yet. New members need to wait for the email confirmation from the AMS registration chair - Laura Hartman.)
- USADA Coach’s Advantage Tutorial – www.usaswimming.org/learn Current and previous members can access the course at any time. This course is offered at no charge. New members cannot begin the course until their membership applications have been processed by their LSCs. This course is renewed annually.
- Foundations of Coaching 101 – First year coaches must complete 101 Level Course ($15). Prior to 2nd year of registration, coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 201 ($25) and Rules &Regulations for Coaches (no fee). www.usaswimming.org/FOC
Coaches should upload a copy of the CPR/AED, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Concussion Protocol Training certifications with their non-athlete application. AMS will be notified automatically when a coach has passed the background check, online athlete protection training, USADA coach’s advantage tutorial and the Foundations of Coaching exams. Once all membership requirements have been met, the membership card will be available on Deck Pass.
A coach can sign up for a Deck Pass account at www.usaswimming.org to be able to verify membership status and check the expiration dates of all of coach membership requirements. Deck Pass also serves as an electronic membership card at meets. Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please take a moment to check the status of all of your certifications through Deck Pass. It reflects the current information on record in the SWIMS database. If anything has expired or is expiring soon – please take care of updating it now.
Should you have any questions or believe the information on file for you is incorrect, please contact Laura Hartman at email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Click Here to download a printable copy of the Coach Member Requirements Checklist
Click here for the Coaches page on the USA Swimming Web Site.
Please contact AMS Coaches' rep Luke Modrak or Registration Coordinator Laura Hartman if you have questions or need assistance.