2021 AMS BOARD OF DIRECTORS SELF-NOMINATION INFORMATION
The following positions will be elected at the May 2021 HOD meeting:
Age Group Vice-Chair
Technical Planning Chair
Safe Sport Chair
Operational Risk Coordinator
If you, or someone you know, is interested in running for one of these positions, please submit the self-nomination form by
March 31, 2021.
Please direct any questions to Michael Smith, AMS Governance Committee Chair at [email protected].
General Chair (2 years)
- Calls and presides at all board, association, and executive committee meetings.
- Appoints chairpersons of all committees with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of each standing and special committee.
- Acts as the official spokesperson for the association.
- Work with the Committee Chairman on selection of Committee members, for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the management, business, operations, affairs, and property of AMS.
- Supervise AMS's Officers & Agents.
- Appoint non-elected Committee Members with Advice & Consent of the respective Committee Chair and BOD.
- Report to BOD all matters within his/her knowledge in the interest of AMS.
- Assure the fulfillment of any LSC obligations to the Eastern Zone.
Age Group Vice Chair (2 years)
- Conduct an ongoing evaluation of the AMS Age Group Programs.
- Develop and submit proposals to provide for the long range planning of Age Group swimming.
- Encourage the development of programs that promote participation.
- Oversee recognition for Age Group Swimmers.
- Develop programs to assist athletes in transitioning from Age Group to Senior Swimming.
- Advise and consult with AMS Committees as necessary to achieve committee goals.
- Chair and have charge of the affairs and property of the Standing Committee that develops and conducts the age group swimming program of AMS.
- Direct responsibility (with input from Senior Vice-Chair, Technical Planning Chair, and Coaches Representative) of SC and LC Season Meet Schedules and the general conduct and items associated with Meets.
- Direct responsibility for SC and LC meets Bid Meeting.
- Direct responsibility for AMS Zone Teams.
- Collaborative responsibility (with Diversity & Inclusion Chair) for Athlete Recruitment and Retention program development.
- Develop, implement, oversee camps & clinics in collaboration with Senior Vice Chair & Coaches Representative
Secretary (2 years)
- Ensures that proper record keeping practices are being followed.
- Verifies that the minutes for each meeting are approved at the following meeting of the board.
- Serves as a member of the executive committee.
- Maintain all board records and ensure their accuracy.
- Keep a record of all meetings of HOD and BOD. Ensure that these minutes, once approved, are posted to the AMS website.
- Chair of Personnel Committee.
- Attest the execution of all duly authorized instruments.
- Perform any duties incidental to the office.
Technical Planning Chair (2 years)
- Chair and have charge of the affairs and property of the standing committee which is responsible for long-range planning regarding the swimming programs conducted by AMS.
- Direct responsibility for Reportable Times, Records/Top 10, Time Standards, and Meet Management (Sanctions & Meet Announcements, Meet Files, Sponsorship, and Meet Evaluation) including the timely and accurate posting of Meet information on the AMS website and/or distribution of materials to clubs.
- Where issues arise in advance of meets, collaborate with the necessary Committee Chairs (Age Group, Senior, Coaches, Officials), affected Meet Host staff, and others as necessary to promptly and fully resolve the issue(s).
- Shall possess collaborative responsibility (with Age Group Vice-Chair, Senior Vice-Chair, and Coaches Representative) of SC and LC Season Meet Schedule.
Safe Sport Chair (2 years)
- Collaborate with General Chair, USA Swimming Safe Sport Dept., National Board of Review and any other necessary personnel with regard to Safe Sport allegations.
- Oversee the program for coach and official membership verification at meets sanctioned by AMS.
- Provide specific, mandatory rules that must be followed at all levels of the organization; provide additional best practices that protect all members of the organization; solicit feedback on policies and guidelines in practice and use the feedback to review and propose updates.
- Create connection to the local level; establish clear communication channels going both ways; solicit feedback and communicate how the feedback was incorporated into change efforts; work together not against each other.
- Establish the organization’s first line of defense against predators; provide tools to vet what individuals are allowed to become members, employees, or volunteers.
- Empower membership to recognize red flag behavior, abusive behavior, or signs of abuse in athletes; make reporting channels clear and accessible; remove barriers to reporting; establish clear responsibilities for NHQ, the LSC, and the club on how to respond to reports.
- Provide tools and resources for our community to increase understanding and awareness of abuse in sport and abuse prevention; create opportunities for education and training; review and update efforts based on industry findings.
- Observe interactions and react appropriately at the local level and the national level; provide clear expectations of behavior for both adult-youth and youth- youth interactions.
Operational Risk Coordinator (2 years)
It is the LSC Operational Risk Chair's responsibility to promote safety throughout the LSC swimming community and to promote safety as a part of the LSC philosophy. The LSC Operational Risk Chair is the "point person" in the communication network between the national organization and the grassroots efforts. It is the Chair who contacts the National Headquarters with safety questions and concerns, relays policy decision to the LSC and directs the LSC's Operational Risk program.
- Chair a committee that develops Operational Risk education programs for the LSC and makes recommendations to the LSC Board of Directors.
- Serve as liaison between USA Swimming/LSC and Club Operational Risk Coordinators.
- Provide reports of injuries within the LSC at each LSC Board and House of Delegates meeting as requested.
- Provide input and periodically reviews LSC warm-up guidelines.
- Provide input to meet operations in the aspect of swimmer safety.
- Communicate regularly with Club Operational Risk Coordinators. Contact USA Swimming, with knowledge of the General Chair unless otherwise agreed to, with safety questions and concerns.
- Disseminate safety information and required forms to all member clubs, coaches, and officials of the LSC.
- Provide information for compliance with USA Swimming National rules and LSC rules.
- Review and refine the LSC safety programs and club level programs.
- Review completed Report of Occurrence forms, making suggestion on how to prevent re-occurrence. Promote safety as a topic to be discussed at coaches and official’s pre-meet meetings.
- Prepare and distribute facility checklists, safety checklists and emergency action plans to be used by clubs.
Link to the Self-Nomination Form