Meet some of our "PAQPros"! (Post-Grad/Professional Athletes)
TALISA LANOE / KENYA: RIO 2016 OLYMPIAN, 4x WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Swimmer - Backstroke (50/100/200)
Talisa Lanoe, aged 22, is from Nairobi, Kenya. She began swimming at the age of six, and 16 years later she is the National Record-Holder in all backstroke disciplines (50/ 100/ 200) in all courses (SCM, LCM) as well as in the 800M Freestyle.
Talisa on why she has chosen to train with Coach Prindle "...Because of PAQ's small team size and the extraordinary dedication of all athletes and coaches, I feel like I am getting the expertise and attention I will need to be successful!” While preparing for international meets, Talisa is studying at Florida Atlantic University, majoring in International Business/Trade with a double minor in Marketing and Hospitality. Expected graduation: December 2016
UPDATE: Talisa's goal to represent her home country has been achieved: She is only the second female swimmer in Kenyan history at an Olympic competition...She's going to Rio! CONGRATULATIONS, TALI!
- 2016 - Team Kenya: FINA XXXI OLYMPIC GAMES (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil)
- 2015 - Kenyan Sportsperson of The Year Award
- 2015 - FINA LCM World Championships Team (Kazan, Russia)
- 2 National Records (100/200 Backstroke)
- 2015 - Team Kenya: All-Africa Games (Brazzaville, Congo)
- 2014 - FINA SCM World Championships Team (Doha, Qatar)
- 2014 - Commonwealth Games XX Team (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 3 National Records (50, 100, 200 Backstoke)
- 2012 - FINA World Championships Team (Istanbul, Turkey)
- 2011 - Kenyan Sportsperson of The Year Award (Southdowns College, South Aftrica)
- 2011 - Team Kenya: All-Africa Games (Mozambique)
- 2010 - FINA SCM World Championships Team (Dubai, UAE)
- 2010 - Team Kenya: African Swim Championships (Morocco)
- 2010 - Commonwealth Games (India)
- 2008/9/10 - National team MVP (3 consecutive years), International Children's Games (Iceland '08, San Francisco '09, Athens '10), Sub-Sahara African Championships (Kenya '08, South Africa '09, Mauritius '10)
RUNAR BORGEN / NORWAY: NORWEGIAN NATIONAL CHAMPION (50/100 Freestyle, 50/100 Butterfly) NATIONAL RECORD-HOLDER (50 Fly) & NCAA DII Champion
- LCM Norwegian Nationals Top finisher
- 50 Fly 24.2 (silver)
- 50 Free 23.1 (silver)
- 100 Free 51.0 (bronze)
- TYR Pro/ Mesa Top 8 Finisher - 50 Fly 24.3
- 3 Time All-American
- NCAA D2 National Champion and Record holder in 200yard freestyle relay,
- 2 time Norwegian National Champion with 3 National Records
- Placed 7th at European Cup meet Sette Colli Trophy in Rome Italy with a Norwegian National Record in the 50m butterfly
- 4 school records at the University of Tampa
- 2 time Norwegian National Champion Senior in Kristiansand, Norway, March 2015.
- 1 time Norwegian national champion and national record in 50m butterfly and 2-time bronze medalist at Norwegian Nationals Senior in Bergen, Norway July 2015.
- 200-yard freestyle relay national record NCAA D2 Championships
- 6 school records at the University of Tampa and 5 time All American at NCAA championships
- 3 Time All-American at NCAA Championships
- 3rd place finish 200 free relay NCAA D2 Championships
- bronze medalist at the Sunshine State Conference Championships, Orlando, FL February 2014.
- Two-time silver medalist at Norwegian Nationals junior and bronze medalist senior.
- 3 school records at the University of Tampa
- Multiple silver and bronze medalist at Sr. Norwegian Nationals in Kristiansand, Norway, July 2013
- 5 school records at the University of Tampa
- Multiple Gold medalist (100m freestyle and 50m butterfly) and Jr record holder in the 50m butterfly at Junior Norwegian Nationals. (Tøyenbadet, Oslo, Norway, July 2012).
- Multiple silver medalist at Jr. and Sr. Norwegian Nationals
- Member of the Norwegian Olympic Committees project “Swimming in the north”
JOSIAH MORALES / TRINIDAD & TOBAGO: 50/100/200 Butterfly, 50/100 Freestyle specialist
- 2018 – Ranked Top 5 in Trinidad
- 2018- C.C.CAN Games/Aruba: Team Trinidad - 50 Fly (bronze), 100 Fly (bronze)
- 2017- 4x NAIA All-American (Wayland Baptist University)
- CSCAA All American
- CSCAA Scholar All American
- Team MVP
- Awarded CSCAA National swimmer of the week (2016)
- 2014- CISC Games/Aruba: Team Trinidad – 100 Fly (silver), 200 Fly (bronze)
- 2013- C.C.CAN Games/ Costa Rica: Team Trinidad
- 2012- FINA Junior Open Water Swimming Championship/Ontario: Team Trinidad
- CISC Games/Barbados: Team Trinidad - 100 fly (bronze)
LYDIA MUSLEH / JORDAN (GREECE): 2015 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Swimmer (100 Breaststroke) JORDANIAN RECORD-HOLDER (50 Breaststroke) GREEK NATIONAL TEAM
- National Team, Jordan (s. 2012)
- 3x National Record-Holder (50, 100, 200 Breaststroke)
- 2017 - Muslim Games: Team Jordan (Baku, Azerbaijan)
- Female Athlete of the Year (Jordan)
- 2015-18 - Florida Atlantic University Swim Team (retired)
- 2015 - FINA World Championships Team Jordan (Kazan, Russia)
- 2014 - Scholastic All-American
- 2014 - FINA Youth Olympic Games Team Jordan (Nanjing, China)
- 2014 - Pan-Arab Games (Morocco)
- 2013 - FINA SCM World Championships Team Jordan (Dubai, UAE)
- 2013 - Pan-Arab Games (Jordan)
- 2011 - Youth Olympic Games Team Greece (Turkey)
- 2010 - 2012: National Team, Greece
JULIE STUPP /USA:
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Swimmer (400 IM/200 Breaststroke) 4x USA OLYMPIC TRIALS Qualifier (& 2-time Finalist)
USA Triathlete (2014-2018)
As PAQ's first post-grad athlete, Julie Stupp (St. Louis, Missouri) who has worked with Coach Kathleen since 2007, is proven to be one of the nation’s premiere IM and breaststroke specialists. At the age of 14 in 2000, Julie competed in her first US Olympic Trials, and competed in 2004, 2008, and 2012 US Trials as well. In '08, Julie was a Top 8 finisher in the 400 I.M. as well as a semi-finalist in the 200 I.M. and 200 Breaststroke. Julie was selected to represent the USA at the SC World Championships in Manchester, England in 2008.
Stupp competed for Auburn University from 2004-2007, helping the team win two national titles (2006 and 2007). She transferred to, and matriculated from, the University of Arizona. While at Arizona, "Jules" broke two school records in the 200 Breaststroke and 400 I.M. Her 400 I.M. time of 4:02:99 remains one of the top ten fastest college swims of all time. As a college athlete, she earned 11 NCAA All-American honors and was a four-time academic All-American.
Stupp not only swam at Arizona but also ran track & field: Jules is the first female in history to qualify for the NCAA College Championships in both swimming AND track! During her short track career she helped the U of A Track team finish second at the PAC 10 championships, which was their highest finish in ten years.
Julie went back to the pool (and the track, and the bike), continuing her training as a TRI-ATHLETE from 2013-2018, with major national success. Stupp currently lives in LA
MARCO CAMARGO GONZALEZ/ ECUADOR: BEIJING 2008 OLYMPIAN (100 Butterfly)
3x WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Swimmer
Marco trained with Coach Kathleen for several years (2008-2011) and joined PAQ in 2012 with his sights set on Rio 2016! He is from Guayaquil, and is a long-time veteran of the Ecuador National Team (11 years). Marco holds 35 National Records in Ecuador, and he was the first Ecuadorian to win a medal at World Championships! Marco is also pursuing his (other) dream to become an airline pilot.
- 2012: 4th place, Sudamericano Absoluto, Belem-Brazil
- 2011: 3-time Gold medalist, Juegos del Alba Barquisimeto-Venezuela
- 2009: Bronze medalist, Juegos Bolivariano Sucre- Bolivia
- 2008: Member Ecuador Olympic swim team, Beijing 2008, FINA World Championships/Manchester, England, 4th place Latin games San Marino, Bronze medalist, Sudamericano Absoluto Lima-Peru
- 2007: Pan American games, Rio de Janeiro-Brazil, Gold medalist, Sudamericano Juvenil Caracas-Venezuela, FINA World Championships/Melbourne- Australia
- 2006: Silver medalist, Juegos Sudamericanos/Buenos Aires, Argentina, Bronze medalist, FINA World Junior Championship/Rio de Janeiro-Brazil, Bronze medalist, Sudamericano (absoluto)/Sao Pablo-Brazil
- 2005: FINA World Championships/Montreal, Canada, 2-time Gold medalist, Juegos Bolivarianos/Pereira, Colombia
CAROLINE SIMMONS / USA: 2x USA OLYMPIC TRIALS Qualifier (50/100 Freestyle) 2012, 2016
Caroline (from Arlington, VA) recently received her Masters Degree in Ocean Engineering from Florida Atlantic University (May, 2016). She joined PAQ in 2014 to train for her second USA Olympic Trials, 2016. Caroline competed for University of Buffalo (UB) from 2009-2011, where she set five school records in the 50,100,200-yard freestyle and the 200 and 400-yard free relay events. IN 2012, Caroline transferred to University of Tennessee (UT) where she helped her team break two school records in the 200 and 400 Freestyle relays at the NCAA championship. Her 50 freestyle time of 22.05 (SCY) in the "splash-and-dash" event is the ninth best in UT history. IN 2013 she ended her collegiate career in style by helping the Lady Vols to a program-best third place finish, leading off the Lady Vols' first NCAA relay title, and made the podium in an individual event while earning three All-America honors. Swam the leadoff leg in the Lady Vols' very first NCAA relay championship, the 200 freestyle relay, to open the national meet. The team finished in a school record 1:27.14. Finished in fourth in 50 free final (22.01) later that day. As a college athlete, she proved to be one of the top freestyle sprinters on the Lady Vols' squad and in the entire NCAA, contributing both individually and on freestyle relays.
2013 NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE - 4 x 50 Freestyle Relay
SEC MEDAL COUNT (6)
- Gold: 1 2012: 200 MR
- Silver: 1 2013: 200 FR
- Bronze: 4 2013: 50 Free, 400 FR 2012: 200 FR, 400 FR
- 2013 All-American: 3x
- 2013 All-SEC (2nd team)
- 2012 All-American: 5x
- 2012 All-SEC
- 2011 CollegeSwimming.com's Mid-Major All-American
- 2011 All-MAC
- 2010 CollegeSwimming.com's Mid-Major All-American
- 2010 All-MAC
SALLY McCarthy / IRELAND: PENTATHLON
Sally comes from Cork, Ireland. She comes to PAQ for regular intensive training camps with head coach Kathleen Prindle to prepare for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. Currently she is ranked #2 in Ireland and will be participating in the 2015 World Cup Pentathlon Series in order to continue the qualification process. Sally has represented Ireland in track and Waterpolo prior to switching to pentathlon in October 2013. She was selected to the Irish National Pentathlon team for the Hungarian International indoor in January 2014, and the Irish National Team in December 2014.
The main focus during her training with PAQ is to improve the technical aspects of freestyle, work on her turns and dives in order to improve the 200m freestyle which is the Olympic distance required in pentathlon. According to Sally, the best part is the individualized approach to coaching and the positive training environment.
Sally competed at the 2015 World Cup Series, European Championships, and World Championships.
"PASTPros": Former PAQPros
WE WISH THESE ATHLETES THE BEST OF LUCK AS THEY MOVE ON TO THE NEXT PHASE OF THEIR JOURNEY!
CATALINA MENDIETA/ COLOMBIA: SOUTH AMERICAN GAMES Swimmer: 50/100 Freestyle, 50/100 Butterfly
Catalina is from Bogota, Colombia. She kicked off 2013 with a new career as a post-grad athlete!! 'Cata' is ranked Top 3 in Colombia in the 50 & 100 fly, and 50 free. She is also Top 5 in the 100 free. Cata graduated from James Madison University (Virginia) with a degree in Sports Management / Recreation, with a Minor in Human Resources Management. Cata trained with PAQ from 2012 until 2015.
- 2014 - Placed top 5 in 50/100 fly and 50 free at Juegos Sudamericanos absoluto (Mar del Plata, Argentina)
- 2012 - Bronze Medalist, Juegos Deportivos Nacionales, Colombia. 100 Fly Champion, CAA Conference Championship. School Multiple RECORD-HOLDER (100 fly, 200 free relay, 200 medley relay) Collegeswimming.com Mid-Major All-American, Honorable Mention
- 2011 - Placed top 5 at CAA Championships in the 50 freestyle & 100 fly, earned All-CAA honors as part of the 200 free, 400 free, 200 medley relay team (school-record time).
- 2009/2010 - University of New Orleans (UNO) school record holder 50 free & 100 fly, member of the 200 free, 400 free, 200 medley and 400 medley relay team records.
ALINA SCHULHOFER/ AUSTRIA: NATIONAL TEAM: 100/200 Freestyle, 100 Butterfly
Alina comes to The PAQ from Graz, Austria, where she began swimming at the age of 8. She arrived in the US in 2008 to attend high school and train, and graduated from the American Heritage School (Plantation, FL) in May 2013. She is an accomplished athlete with her sights set on the Austrian National Team. Alina is majoring in Psychology at a local college in hopes of retaining her NCAA eligibility while training full-time. After the Rio 2016 Olympic Games quad, Alina hopes to join a Division I program.
- 2015- Top 4 Austrian Nationals (200 freestyle)
- 2013 - Top 8 finalist, Austrian National Championships
- 2012 - Austrian Junior National Champion (200, 400 Freestyle)
- 2010/11 - Multiple FHSAA State Championship Finals (200, 500 freestyle, 100 fly) - 2x Gold Medalist and State Record Holder (200 Medley Relay, 400 Free Relay)
- 2009 - European Youth Olympic Festival Participant
SARAH MARASKINE/ Saganaw, Michigan, USA: 100 Backstroke
2012-13 - NCAA CHAMPION 200 Medley Relay (50 Backstroke leg). 3rd place, 100 back (55.48)
Five All-America honors
GLIAC CHAMPION: 200 backstroke (1:59.99) & 200 medley relay (1:43.77). Runner-up, 200 Freestyle
Counsilman Hunsaker Division II Female Swimmer of the Week and GLIAC Women's Swimmer of the Week CSCAA Scholar All-American First Team ... 2012-13 recipient of the DII ADA Academic Achievement Award.
2009-10 (Eastern Michigan): A Mid-Major All-American Honorable Mention and Academic All-MAC selection