Pompano Beach Piranhas Code of Conduct
The purpose of a code of conduct for parents is to establish consistent expectations for behavior by parents. As a parent/guardian, I understand the important growth and developmental support that my child’s participation fosters. I also understand that it is essential to provide the coaching staff with respect and the authority to coach the team. I agree with the following statements:
I will be a positive role model for my child by demonstrating sportsmanship and showing respect and common courtesy at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents, and all facilities.
- I will teach my child to abide by the spirit of the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other swimmers, coaches, officials and spectator with respect regardless of race, gender, or ability.
- I will get involved by volunteering, cheering at meets, and talking with my child and their coach about their progress.
- I will refrain from coaching my child and other children from the stands during practices or meets.
- I understand that criticizing, name-calling, use of abusive language or gestures directed toward coaches, officials, volunteers, and/or any participating swimmer will not be tolerated.
- I will respect the integrity of the officials.
- I will direct my concerns to first to my child’s coach; then, if not satisfied, to the Head Coach.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
I understand the above expectations and that my failure to adhere to them may result in disciplinary action, to include, but not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by team official, Head Coach, and/or Pompano Beach Piranhas Swimming Leadership.
- Written warning.
- Parental practice and/or meet suspension with written documentation of incident.
- Parental season suspension.
- Expulsion from the team.
The purpose of a code of conduct for Athlete establish consistent expectations for athletes’ behavior and to facilitate an environment that is supportive of swimmers, coaches, parents, and families.
- I will respect and show courtesy to my teammates, coaches, parents and families at all times.
- I will support my team and fellow swimmers through my words and actions. I will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all practices and meets regardless of outcome.
- I will set a good example of behavior and work ethic for my younger teammates.
- I will be respectful of my teammates’ feelings and personal space. I will not exhibit sexist, racist, homophobic, or otherwise inappropriate behavior to my teammates and coaches.
- I will attend all team meetings and training sessions, arriving on time and with all necessary equipment.
- I will show respect for all facilities and other property (including locker rooms) used during practices, competitions, and team activities.
- I will refrain from foul language, violence, behavior deemed dishonest, offensive, or illegal.
- If I disagree with an official’s call, I will talk with my coach and not approach the official directly.
- I will obey all of USA Swimming’s rules and codes of conduct.
I agree to comply with the above expectations, and understand that if I violate this code of conduct, I will be subject to disciplinary action determined by my coaches and possibly the Pompano Beach Piranhas Board of Directors.
The purpose of a code of conduct for Coaches to establish common expectations for all members of the coaching staff of the club.
This Code of Conduct for coaches is to be used as a guide to promote a positive team environment and good sportsmanship. It will also be used to establish boundaries between coach and swimmer.
Expectations: As a coach, I understand the importance of my role in the development of the swimmers, and agree with the following statements:
- At all times, adhere to USA Swimming’s rules and code of conduct.
- Set a good example of respect and sportsmanship for participants and fans to follow.
- Act and dress with professionalism and dignity in a manner suitable to his/her profession.
- Respect officials and their judgment and abide by the rules of the event.
- Treat opposing coaches, participants, and spectators with respect.
- Instruct participants in sportsmanship and demand that they display good sportsmanship.
- Coach in a positive manner and do not use derogatory comments or abusive language.
- Win with humility and lose with dignity.
- Treat every athlete fairly, justly, impartially, intelligently, and with sensitivity.
- Always place the well-being, health, and safety of swimmers above all other considerations, including developing performance.
- Continue to seek and maintain their own professional development in all areas in relation to coaching and teaching children.
- Always maintain a professional separation between coach and athlete.
Any legal felony conviction shall also be considered a violation of this code.
Any complaints of a coach violating this code of conduct will be brought to the attention of
his/her supervisor and/or the employer. Enforcement of the code is included but not limited to:
- A letter of reminder of ethical conduct to the coach
- A letter of reprimand directly to the offending coach
- A letter of reprimand to the offending coach, with copies to the employer of the coach
- A letter as above, with additional copies to the LSC Chair in the cases of USA Swimming Coaching, or similar body in other situations.
- Temporary suspension