Team Membership Information 2019-2020 Season
Information about the Bolles Sharks Programs, Costs, Committments, and Policies can be found in the 2019-2020 Team Handbook at the link below. Registration for the 2019-2020 Season will open on August 2nd.
2019-2020 Team Handbook
To determine the best suited roster for your Age Group swimmer, please come to the Swim Office at The Bolles School, Monday - Thursday, anytime between 4-7pm (no appointment necessary) and one of our coaches will do a very quick -in the pool- evaluation of your swimmer.
BOLLES SCHOOL SHARKS - COMPETITIVE PROGRAM
In keeping with our philosophy of providing a well-rounded, quality, competitive swimming program for athletes of all ages and abilities, The Bolles School Sharks offer progressive levels of professional coaching.
AGE GROUP These groups provides training for 8th graders and younger.
MAKOS Swimmers must be able to complete at least one 25 yard lap of freestyle (breathing to the side) and backstroke. The main emphasis of this group is teaching the basic fundamentals of the competitive strokes. This consists of kicking, drilling, and streamline.
TIGERS Swimmers must be able to swim freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke. Sharpening each stroke through drills and kicking, as well as training for the next level on starts, turns, and mental skills, will be emphasized.
HAMMERHEADS This level concentrates on having the swimmers move from primary stroke and technique instruction to more emphasis on training. Drill work and kicking will continue to make up a large portion of the practices; however, swimming sets will be added. Goal setting will be introduced and swimmers will be expected to be more accountable for their swimming progression.
GREAT WHITES This group will take on a much more rigorous training role, while continuing to build upon the skills acquired at the Hammerhead level. Practice times are longer in conjunction with higher yardage requirements. The increases in physical demands require that swimmers regularly attend practice. Furthermore, swimmers will be expected to understand interval training and will learn how to train at different effort levels and speeds. There will also be a greater emphasis on race strategies.
SENIOR This program provides training for swimmers in 9th grade and older.
Bolles Students - this training group is reserved for Bolles School students who are also members of the Bolles School Sharks.
Late Night – this group is offered to athletes who do not attend The Bolles School yet are members of the Sharks year round team.
USA Swimming Inc. allows for any swimmer to try out a prospective team for two weeks before making a financial commitment.
Please click here to view our 2019-2020 Team Handbook as a reference for more information on team fees, policies, and procedures. For questions please contact the Bolles School Swim Office at 904-256-5213.
USA Swimming Inc. is the governing body of competitive aquatics in the United States. This organization provides our rules and regulations, sanctions, and insurance.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Does my child have to attend The Bolles School to be a member of the Sharks swim team? No, membership and participation in our programs are open to all eligible swimmers who meet our qualification requirements and have the desire to better themselves through the sport of swimming.
2. How do we sign up to try out the Bolles School Sharks? We allows any swimmer to try out a prospective team for two weeks before making a commitment to the team. That being said, to determine which group your child would qualify for, check the practice schedule for that group, arrive 15 minutes before the practice and fill out a visitors registration form at the Swim Office. We will notify the coach that there is a new swimmer to their practice "trying us out!"
3. How do I know which Group my child should swim in? Age Group Coach, Gina Aguilar, does swim assessments, Monday - Thursday, 4-7 pm (no appointment necessary) and will determine the best suited group for your swimmer. Stop into the Swim Office and we will let Coach Gina know your swimmer is there for an assessment.
*Please note that all High School age swimmers will automatically qualify for the Senior program.
4. How many practices should my child attend? Each Age Group program has a "recommended" amount of practices a swimmer should attend based on the individual's ability and goals. The best resource for an answer to this will be your swimmer's Coach. The Senior levels will have mandatory attendance expectations.
5. How much will it cost to be a member of the Sharks? Each swimmer, depending on their group, will have monthly coaching dues and be required to be a current USA Swimming Inc. member. Each swimmer will have an annual registration fee (collected in Aug of current swim year) and be responsible for meet fees, team wear and equipment costs as listed in the Team Handbook.
6. Does my swimmer have to participate in swim meets? Swimmers are prepared and encouraged to compete in all swimming events, distances, and strokes. This policy promotes versatility and encourages the swimmers to explore their potential in the wide range of events offered in competitive swimming.
7. As a parent/guardian, do we have to volunteer? To ensure that The Bolles School Sharks (BSS) swimmers have the opportunity to participate in team activities, swim meets, and USA Swimming, Inc. sanctioned competitions, as well as supplement operating expenses, BSS must host several swim meets throughout the year. All team affiliated events are staffed totally by parent volunteers and cannot run without family participation. BSS is very fortunate to have an incredible group of very committed members who have volunteered generously, however it did become necessary to implement a Service Hour Obligation (SHP) policy to ensure that ALL families participate. The current SHP can be found in the Team Handbook.