All of the criteria below must be met in order for an athlete to be fully prepared for the next stage in their development. Fast swimming alone is not a compelling enough reason to push a swimmer to the next level.
Sharks - The Sharks program is designed to continue to refine the long axis stroke (free and back), introduce the arm movements and coordination of short axis strokes (breast and butterfly) while giving the participants more opportunities to build their endurance, speed and in-water confidence.
Prerequisite: Completion of the exit requirements for the Manta Ray program.
Description: Swimmers in this group, ages three (3) & up, will focus on developing a mastery of of the short axis (breast and butterfly) strokes. In addition, the swimmers will be introduced to basic butterfly and breastroke full body movement patterns as well as turns for freestyle and backstroke. Participants in this program will also be introduced to a variety of aquatic activities besides competitive swimming. This will allow the child to see which activity might be best to pursue. The coach:student is kept low (1:6) so the participants will get the attention they need to properly develop these new skills properly.
Dates/Times/Costs: Dates & Times vary throughout the year (please check our current class offerings by clicking here). The cost is $85 per eight (8) thirty (30) minute class sessions. There is a once yearly registration fee of $30.00. Optional home and local swim meets will also be made available for an additional fee (normally $10 per meet).
Sharks - Exit Requirements
- Swims 4 lengths of the pool freestyle unassisted
- Swims 4 lengths of the pool backstroke unassisted
- Learns breaststroke arms with the proper breath and kick sequence
- Learns butterfly arms with proper breath and kick sequence
- Treads water for 3 min
- Learns the freestyle flip turn
- Learns the backstroke flip turn
- Learns the proper way to shallow dive
- Water sport skills development (splash ball, fin swimming)
- Safety swimming with clothes
- Water Safety skills & education