Swimmers’, Parents’ and Coaches’ Grievance Policy
Coaches’ responsibilities include:
1. Assessing behavior of swimmers as dictated by our Code of Conduct and all published policies and procedures,
2. Issuing disciplinary action for any swimmer that is determined to have violated that Code of Conduct or any published policy/procedure
3. All disciplinary action is at the coach’s reasonable discretion, and will be issued with regard to:
a. Nature of the misconduct
b. Severity of the misconduct
c. Prior disciplinary actions against swimmer
d. Adverse effect of the misconduct on other swimmers
e. Application of the Code of Conduct
4. Coaches are authorized to take immediate disciplinary action, if appropriate and necessary under the circumstances, to ensure the safety of all swimmers.
Categories of Complaints:
1. Regarding Conduct of Swimmer
2. Regarding Conduct of any Coach
3. Regarding Conduct of Head Coach
4. Regarding the behavior of any Team Official or parent as it relates to our team or team activity.
Registering a Grievance:
1. Regarding Conduct of Swimmer - Should a parent or swimmer feel another swimmer’s conduct is inappropriate or violates the Athlete Code of Conduct, the parent/swimmer should discuss these concerns with the coach of the swimmer responsible for the violation (Responsible Coach). This complaint should be made in person or in writing.
2. Regarding Conduct of a Coach – Should a parent or swimmer feel a SKY Coach’s conduct is inappropriate or in violation of any Club or USA Swimming policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should notify the Head Coach of this violation. This complaint should be made in writing and must be signed. Anonymous complaints will not be taken.
3. Regarding Conduct of Head Coach – Should a parent or swimmer feel the Head Coach’s conduct is inappropriate or violates any Club or USA Swimming policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should first notify the Head Age Group Coach. This complaint must be made in writing. If this does not provide appropriate changes then the parent or swimmer should notify Safe Sport with Florida Swimming or with USA Swimming.
4. Regarding Conduct of any adult member of the SKY Family YMCA Swim Team, should a adults conduct in connection to the swim team be inappropriate or violates any Club policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should notify the Head Coach of this violation. This complaint must be made in writing. The parent or swimmer may also register a complaint about the conduct in question, if appropriate, with USA Swimming Safe Sport.
1. Any initial conduct review and disciplinary action will be the responsibility of the Responsible Coach or Head Coach to whom the complaint was required to be made. A decision, and/or disciplinary action, will be issued as soon as reasonably possible.
a. If the parent/swimmer registering the complaint feels the Coach’s disciplinary action is insufficient or unsatisfactorily resolves the issue, the parent/swimmer may appeal the decision of the Responsible Coach, in writing, with the Head Coach within 7 days of the initial complaint. A decision, and/or disciplinary action, will be issued by the Head Coach as soon as reasonably possible. Failure of the Responsible Coach to address the parent/swimmer concerns in a timely manner is a basis for requesting an appeal.
2. The decision of the Head Coach is final, unless the action that created the complaint is a Safe Sport issue. In that case the decision may be appealed by contacting Florida Swimming or USA Swimming Safe Sport with the original complaint.