In order to help our swimmers achieve the next level in our program, the requirements are listed below.
Please take the time to read and understand each level. If you have any questions be sure to ask your coach.
for a tryout, Contact Charlie Rose at : [email protected]
Making the team
1. You will need a team suit, cap, and shirt for meets
2. Must be USS registered w/ Blue Dolfins.
3. Be able to set a schedule for practice days.
4. Be a strong swimmer. You will need to be able to swim several lengths of the pool.
5. Be able to swim free and back.
6. Have an attitude to learn. Be willing to learn and listen.
7. Show coaches, swimmers, and others respect.
8. You will need to enjoy the water.
To enter bronze from flippers
1. A min of 8 years old
2. Must possess ambition, dedication, and maturity - ultimately, this is decided upon by the coaches
3. Be able to demonstrate 2 drills for each stroke (the following drills are a must)
Fly - 2RT,2LT, 2RG and 4 Dolphin kicks (perfect streamline) and 1 pull.
Back- Shoulder Roll- hands by side and Popov 1
Breast- 3 kicks (perfect streamline) and 1 pull and 2-2-1 (2right arm fly, 2 left arm fly, and 1 actual breaststroke)
Free- Fingertip drag and Popov 1
4. Be able to demonstrate a perfect streamline off each wall past flags for each stroke.
5. Be able to demonstrate correct breast underwater pullout.
6. Be able to demonstrate and know the term "Bilateral breathing." (i.e Free- breath 3,5,7 and Fly- breath every 3rd stroke)
7. Be able to demonstrate a legal free and back flip turn
8. Complete a min of 3 practices per week and attend 1 meet per month if open to age group
9. Compete in a legal 50 Free and 50 Back in meet
10. Compete in a legal 100 IM in meet under 2:00
To enter Silver
1. Must complete “Making the team.”
2. Know and be able to demonstrate all four strokes legally. (fly, back, breast, free.)
3. Be able to demonstrate a strong free, fly, and breast kick with and without a kickboard.
4. Know and be able to demonstrate 4 drills for every stroke.
5. Be able to complete all four turns legally.
6. Be able to complete a competition start for free and back.
7. Be consistent with a perfect streamline
8. Be consistent with perfect IM transition turns.
9. Be able to attend 4 out of the 6 workouts offered.
10. Be able to attend 1 meet a month if open to age group
11. Be able to run 1 mile without stopping
12. Be able to demonstrate 10 correct pushups in a row
13. Be consistent with reading clock intervals
14. Be able to make a legal 200 IM close to 3:00
15. Be able to make 5x100's Free on 1:35 or better
16. Be able to make 5x100's Free kick on 2:05 or better
17. Be entering 6th grade
To enter Gold
1. “To Make Silver” complete and have completed 8th grade
2. Must master a legal freestyle (high elbows, proper pull through, finish.)
3. Must master a legal backstroke(head still, shoulder roll, steady kick.)
4. Must master a legal breaststroke(pullout, finish kick, hand speed.)
5. Must master a legal butterfly(2 kicks per pull, lead w/ backhand, breath timing.)
6. Must understand the concept of intervals (10 x 50 @ .45)
7. Must be able to make intervals used during gold group workouts
8. Must master a legal flip turn in freestyle
9. Must master a legal flip turn in backstroke
10. Must master a legal breaststroke turn (stay low and drop one arm first)
11. Must master a legal butterfly turn(same as breast)
12. Must attend most swim meets
13. Must have a positive attitude
14. Must be respectful of all other teammates
15. Must be respectful of all coaches
16. Must be able to satisfy attendance requirements.
17. Must have good work ethic
18. Must be motivated!
To enter advanced gold group
1. ”To Make Gold” complete and have completed 8th grade
2. Have a strong work ethic
3. Swim a 400 IM in a meet.
4. Demonstrate an ability to set and achieve goals.
5. Completed 8th grade.
6. Have had 1 year of USS competition.
7. Have stroke technique filmed and critiqued.
8. Be willing to attend mornings over the summer and make 4 workouts per week.
9. Make 5 x 100 free on 1:20
10. Kick a 100 free in under 1:50
Moving up Requirements (Senior Group)
1. ”To Make Adv. Gold” complete.
2. Have a sectional cut or be in high school.
3. Be accountable for all workouts.
4. Make 5 x 100 free on 1:15
5. Kick a 100 free in under 1:45
Moving up Requirements (National Group)
1. ”To Make Senior Group” complete.
2. Make 3 sectional cuts in meters
3. Under 5:30 in the 500 free (y)
4. Willing to attend mornings during school.
Moving up Requirements (Elite Group)
1. ”To Make National Group” complete.
2. Make a Junior National cut.