Welcome to LAPS!
How do I get started?
What is LAPS?
Who can join LAPS?
When is LAPS?
What Day and Time Options do I have in LAPS?
How many days per week are recommended?
What if I have a SCHEDULE change or?if I MISS?one of my days?
How much does LAPS cost?
How do LAPS Swimmers Move Up in the Program?
Is LAPS a Swim Team?
How do I sign my swimmer up for Swim Meets?
How Do I Get Started?
Evaluations are required before registering if you were not in the LAPS program previously.
To schedule an evaluation, please contact Coach Mark Keaveney at 770-325-7292, ext. 6
Once you have completed your try out and been assigned to LAPS, you are ready to register for any &/or all future sessions!
Registration for each new session will open online during the 4th week of the session before it.
REGISTER HERE Session 3 Registration NOW OPEN!
3. WELCOME TO STINGRAYS SWIMMING!
Once you have registered into LAPS & chosen your days, you are all set to come to practice! Please be sure to write down your chosen Days & Alternate Days from your Schedule Form each session.
The Information Packet below has other great info to review as well and will serve as a point of reference for any questions you may have during your time in LAPS. As such, please read through that & acquire your swimmer's required equipment from the included list prior to your swimmer's first day if at all possible. Thank you & Welcome to LAPS!
Information Packet: CLICK HERE
What is LAPS?
In LAPS, your child will receive a vigorous and athletic practice while getting some of the finest stroke technique and development in the Southeast. (Over 80 years of coaching on our Staff!) LAPS' central mission is to make professional swimming instruction, structure and athletics accessible to the most kids. We do this in 3 important ways:
1. We break the school year into approximate 6-week sessions. (There will be 6 sessions throughout the year and a 7th in the Summer.) You are not committed to anymore than the one that you are in.
2. This sessions approach allows for the freedom to do multiple activities without over-burdening the calendar or the checkbook. Play other sports? Great! You can create the schedule that can run concurrent with your sport OR participate in the off-season. Not sure how much you want to swim? No problem. The 6-weeks-at-a-time format makes trying it out very low risk. If you want more (and you will!), sign up for the next session and add more days.
3. Finally, your cost is determined by the number of days you select. There is no flat monthly rate that you will be locked into. If you want to swim 2x per week, you will pay less than if you want to swim 3x per week. Your commitment is your decision. As you get older and more context is developed, your coaches will guide you to the appropriate levels of commitment.
Who can join LAPS?
Any Elementary or Middle School swimmer who is
6 years old or older is welcome to try out for LAPS!
We require a full length (25 yards) of legal Freestyle and legal Backstroke
as minimum skill requirements prior to joining the LAPS program.
Here are a few of the minimum requirements for each of the 2 strokes:
1. Both arms must alternately clear the water
2. Face remains in the water during strokes until the breath
3. Breathing must be done to the side without stopping
1. Both arms must be straight and alternately clear the water
2. Swimmer must be able to remain on back for the entire lap
3. Swimmer must be able to keep his face above the surface of the water.
If you are unsure of acceptable form, please see these beginner level video examples:
FREESTYLE: CLICK HERE
BACKSTROKE: CLICK HERE
* Must do for a full 25 yards without stopping.
If your swimmer is not ready yet, that is totally fine! We can refer you to a swim lessons instructor to help get them ready for the try out! Please email Coach Tonya (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive that referral.
Not sure if your swimmer is ready? Not a problem! We are happy to help! Sign up for a Try Out, and we be able to direct you to the best starting point for your swimmer then!
When is LAPS?
2019 - 2020 SESSION DATES:
* Note: Registration for the 1st SESSION will open JULY 1st - then, each session after that will open online during the 4th week of the session before it.
Session 1 = August 5 - September 21 (7 week session)
*NEW Elementary LAPS time for M-TH: 3:30 - 4:45 pm (swim first)
Session 2 = September 30 - November 23 (8 week session )
Session 3 = December 2 - December 21 (3 week session)
*NEW Elementary LAPS time for M-TH: 3:30 - 4:45 pm (swim first)
Session 4 = January 6 - February 15 (6 week session)
Session 5 = February 24 - April 3 (6 week session)
Session 6 = April 13 - May 16 (5 week session)
Session 7 = May 26 - June 25 (5 week session)
*Practices: Tuesday & Thursdays 3:00 - 4:00 or 4:00-5:00 pm (Long Course format)
2019 - 2020 WEEKLY SCHEDULE OPTIONS (Sessions 1 - 6):
(Remember...you pick the days!)
45 minutes of swimming & 30 minutes of dryland.
60 minutes of swimming & 30 minutes of dryland.
MOUNTAIN VIEW LOCATION:
New times starting August 5th!
Mondays @ 3:30 - 4:45 pm
Tuesdays @ 3:30 - 4:45 pm
Wednesdays @ 3:30 - 4:45 pm
Thursdays @ 3:30 - 4:45 pm
Fridays @ 3:45 - 5:00 pm or 4:30 - 5:45 pm
Saturdays @ 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW LOCATION:
Mondays @ 7:00 - 8:30 am
Wednesdays @ 7:00 - 8:30 am
Fridays @ 4:30 - 6:00 pm
Saturdays @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
*NOTE: Session 3 LAPS MS are only offered Monday & Wednesday mornings!
**See how to split pools if you can not do mornings
Please Note: You CAN split pools at both MVAC and CCAC on certain days each week.
Indicate during Registration on the Schedule Form.
*based on maximum and minimum numbers per day.
**Splitting days at both pools during a session is allowed.
To do so: Please register as normal for MVAC pool & indicate this
desire on the Schedule Form as instructed there.
What if I Miss One of My Days?
*Read Below 1st & Purchase a Make Up Day:
(not available until Week 2 of each session)
Please refer to the *Scheduling Terms and Agreement* (which is agreed to during registration for each session) for information regarding missed days, refund policies, etc.
*2019 - 2020 Policies: CLICK HERE
* Updated Jan. 2018
As noted in the above policy agreement, we do not guarantee make up days if you miss any of your reserved days. HOWEVER:
You are welcome to purchase a make up day ($10 each) on the Make Up Day Request Form to replace any of your missed days during the session as long as there is an opening AND the make up occurs during the same session as the missed day.
The form is updated and available during Week 2 of each session (after most regular registrations are in and we know where there are openings). There will be NO Make Up Day options during Week 1 of any session. Thanks!
Need to SWITCH your chosen schedule for the rest of the session?
If you need to switch your days for the rest of the schedule, please review the Schedule Policy above and in registration (as there is a deadline for doing so). If the session has NOT started yet, please email LAPS Director Ron Turner to request the switch: email@example.com
If you miss the deadline and the session HAS already started, you can still request the switch beginning the start of week 2 each session; however, it will incur the $25 switch fee. The ability to switch days is based on availability as well (can not switch into a day that is full).
Since LAPS allows for more sports and activities throughout the year and allows the participants to change their commitments without paying a fixed monthly fee, we recommend the following:
- That all participants select 2-3 days per week in their first session. This will ensure the most learning and retention so that future sessions, should the 1-day option be chosen, will not be periods of skill loss.
- We do not recommend the 1-day per week option until a few sessions of multiple day participation have been done. For example, if one practices on a Monday and then does not revisit those drills and skills until a week later, then the opportunity for developing new habits is very minimal. However, 1-day per week options are very useful in maintaining already developed skills and learning.
2019 - 2020 MVAC LAPS Session 3 Fees:
*prices will be adjusted & prorated per session, depending on session length
NOTE: There is a one-time (per year Aug - July) REGISTRATION FEE ($65)
LAPS LEVEL UP DAYS:
As with many swim teams, LAPS has a move up process to follow for promotion into the next level on the team / in the program.
Each new level in LAPS (Red, White, or Blue) or to move up out of LAPS (into the Age Group program) requires the participation and required achievement at the LAPS Level Up Day.
Your swimmer must 1st qualify for the Level Up Day, and they can then attend and attempt to achieve the promotion.
If in Elementary LAPS, the levels go from Red to White to Blue to Age Group / Transition (1st group out of LAPS). Their skills card at the pool will indicate when they are ready to sign up for a Level Up day. If they have all 3 smilie face stickers on their card (indicating all the skills have checkmarks from the coaches), it is time to register them for the LEVEL UP DAY in order to officially finalize their promotion into the next Level.
If they are in Middle School, they move towards the Age Group / Transition Level Up Days upon email invitation from the coach.
WHEN your swimmer meets the above requirements, please fill out the Level Up Day Reservation Form online:
to register for NEXT Level Up Days (if qualified)
NEXT Level Up Day is:
We can only offer the dates and times listed on the form so please do not request another day. We hope that this will be a priority for you and your swimmer enough to work with the scheduling to attend. It is a huge achievement for them and their swimming!
The Level Up Day will take about 30 minutes (20 minutes of challenges / tests and 10 minutes of "next steps" for each swimmer). There is no cost to attend the Level Up Day.
The challenges are a few skills tests or challenges from the required skills on their card or for the next level promotion. If they pass the levels, they will receive a certificate and next steps on their new level. If they do not pass the level that day, they will receive feedback on what they can keep working on in their current level before coming to the next Level Up Day.*
Most swimmers will not become ready for these Level Up Days for many months of regular attendance. Please enjoy the journey without feeling pressure to rush the process!
*Level Up Day participation and achievement promotions are always at the coaches' discretion in combination with the skills cards and new level requirements.
Is LAPS part of the Stingrays Swim Team?
Yes! LAPS swimmers are Stingrays team members who are welcome to compete in swim meets IF they would like to and are participating in LAPS at the time of the meet; however, it is not required. The fees associated with swim meet participation are described below, but they are not applied to swimmers unless they choose to sign up for a swim meet (making the payment and participation optional).
Our LAPS program's flexibility allows swimmers to meet their goals whether that be to achieve recreation & fitness OR for competition & racing. We are here to cheer them on all along the way!
How do I Sign Up for Swim Meets?
If you wish to compete, please follow the below instructions:
1. SIGN UP FOR SWIM MEETS:
Your LAPS swimmer can join any swim meet competitions that include his/her aged swimmers in which LAPS groups are eligible to swim (assuming they are participating in the current session of LAPS during which the swim meet occurs).
Scheduled Meets can be found on the "Events" tab and/or on?our home web page (bottom right-hand side).
Click on the Meet Name to see Details, Volunteering Requirements (defined HERE too), Meet Info packets, and Sign Up Registration Deadlines as they are updated.
To sign up for a desired meet, you will need to:
(1) Sign into your team account.
(2) Click the "Events" Tab.
(3) Click "Edit Commitment" for the desired meet.
(4) Indicate "YES" to participate / commit to the meet from the drop down bar.
(5) Write any specific meet day or race requests in the "NOTES" section.
(6) Click SAVE CHANGES, and you are done!
Meet Schedule / Events Page: CLICK HERE
2. NOTE MEET BILLING THAT WILL OCCUR:
1) $75 USA Swimming Membership Fee =
If that meet is your FIRST SWIM MEET with us OR your first meet sign up since July, you will be charged $75.00 for the membership into USA Swimming (which is required for meet competitions).
This charge fee will be invoiced BEFORE the meet.
2) Meet Fees for each specific Meet you sign up for =
Each swim meet has INDIVIDUAL FEES related to participating in it. Please refer to the MEET INFO packet on each meet's web page in order to read about these fees. They typically run as a flat fee or as a PER RACE fee.
These meet fees will be invoiced to your bill online on the 1st of the month FOLLOWING the meet.
3. COACHES WILL ENTER RACE EVENTS:
You will not enter your swimmer into specific races. The coaches will do that on or after the Meet Registration Deadline has passed. You can suggest race events that your swimmer would like to do in the "NOTES" section as mentioned above, and coaches will take those into consideration as they decide which races are the best for your swimmer at that swim meet.
Please note: If a swim meet has multiple days, you will be entered into ALL of the days UNLESS you indicate otherwise by stating your specified desired days in the "NOTES" section.
4. PREPARE FOR FINAL DETAILS
- SWIM MEET ATTIRE: All swimmers competing in swim meets will need either a STINGRAYS team suit OR a primarily black or navy SPEEDO brand swim suit. All swimmers with hair past their eyebrows are required to wear a STINGRAYS team cap (which can be asked for and received AT the swim meet - and will be charged with the meet fees in the online invoice AFTER the meet). Goggles are also required, but they can be YOUR choice. Lots of towels and warm clothes are also helpful as it can be chilly on the pool deck at times. Water bottles and snacks if the pool facility allows it will be important for re-fueling as the meet goes on. Lastly, wear your TEAM shirts to show your team spirit! We LOVE going to meets and cheering on our RAYS so wear that RAYS GEAR!
- VOLUNTEERING REQUIREMENTS FOR RAYS HOSTED MEETS: Be sure to sign up for a Volunteering job if the swim meet is hosted by Stingrays (found in Meet Info and Sign Up page).
- RACE ENTRIES: You will be able to check what races your swimmer was entered into by signing back into your account and returning to the page where you committed to the meet. More detailed race info will be in the Heat Sheet (see below).
- ARRIVAL TIME TO THE POOL FOR WARM UPS: Check the Warm Up Times for your swimmer's days and sessions (usually based on his/her age). Warm Ups are required and start promptly at the time listed. As such, you will want to plan accordingly to get your swimmer there on time (arriving about 15 - 30 minutes prior to the Warm Up Time listed is best).
- RACE DETAILS in HEAT SHEET: The Heat Sheet will be what tells your swimmer WHEN (Event # & Heat #) and WHERE (lane #) to swim each of his/her races. The Heat Sheet is usually for sale at the meets (In rare occasions, however, the Heat Sheet is provided online prior to the meet). Planning enough time to get to the pool to purchase your Heat Sheet and help write your swimmer's race info down for them is important (coaches do not do this for the swimmers at USA Swimming Meets as is commonly done at summer league swim meets).
- SWIMMERS and PARENTS DURING THE MEET: Swimmers are to see their Coach before AND after EVERY one of his/her races. They will need to watch the pool for what Event & Heat is swimming in the water in order to plan enough time to get to their coach and arrive to their lane prior to their race. Parents can help with this process as well as cheer from the stands as your swimmer competes (in addition to any volunteering duties for which you have signed up when appropriate). Being your swimmer's Fan Club & #1 Cheerleader is the best thing you can do as their parent.
For more USA Swimming recommendations, refer to their website & this article as a resource: CLICK HERE.