Alief Aquatic Club FAQ’s:
Q: Why should my child swim?
A: The Alief Aquatic Club is the premier youth sports program in the Alief area. There are
many benefits to getting your child involved in competitive swimming, including:
1. Swimming promotes physical development.
2. Swimming develops aerobic endurance and is one of the most beneficial forms of
3. Swimming enhances a child’s natural flexibility and promotes muscle development.
4. Swimming develops superior coordination.
5. Swimming is the most injury-free of all children’s sports.
6. Swimming is a sport that will bring children fitness and enjoyment for life.
7. Swimming promotes time management and is one of the top academically achieving
8. Swimming is an important safety skill for young children.
9. Swimming promotes discipline
10. Swimming provides potential opportunities in education
Q: What is the swim team and why would I want my child to participate?
A: It’s fun. It’s great exercise. It builds confidence. It’s a great way for your child to meet
other kids in the neighborhood. It’s a great way for you to meet other parents.
Q: What swimming strokes does my child need to know to join the team?
A: If your child is 5 to 18 and can swim a lap of the pool then they should come to swim
team practice and have the coach evaluate them for the team.
Q: How do I schedule a tryout?
A: We offer drop in tryouts at the Ness Natatorium. If you would like to schedule one ahead
of time, please email a coach ahead of time.
Q: I see that there are different age groups for the swimmers. How does that work?
A: The age groups are 8 & under, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18. Every other year your child will
have an "up" year when they are the oldest in their age group and a "down" year when
they are the youngest in their age group. The system generally works well.
Q: What if my swimmer wants to take a break from swimming for a couple of months?
A: If you wish to become inactive from the club, we need to be notified to stop billing. Also,
if you paid a yearly registration fee, you will not have to pay it again upon return. The
registration fee is good till the beginning of the next short course season. The beginning of
the short course season is typically from September to August.