The following guidelines are to help inform swimmers and parents of Rice Aquatics policies regarding practice. All policies are to help ensure the best practice environment possible.
- Swimmers should arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to their workout time. They should also be picked up no later than 15 minutes after their practice is over. Swimmers should be ready to swim 5 minutes before the start time of their practice.
- Plan to stay the entire practice. The last part of practice is often the most important.
- We encourage you to have your swimmer stay for the entire practice period but we understand that this is not always possible. If you arrive late, please have your swimmer ready to swim as soon as possible. Once ready, send your swimmer to his/her coach for instructions on what the group is doing. If you need to have your swimmer leave practice early, make sure the coach knows before practice starts. This way, we are able to account for every swimmer and ease transitions of swimmers arriving/departing.
- If a practice is missed for any reason (other than Rice Aquatics notice) have your swimmer attend their next scheduled practice. Swimmers are not allowed to swim up or down groups to make up missed practices unless otherwised approved by their lead coach.
- The club has an obligation to act as a guest while using the Rice University pool. Every member needs to do everything possible to respect this privilege.
- All practices are open to parents and siblings. The awning by the scoreboard is open for parents and siblings during practice. Parents are asked to limit communication with coaches and athletes during practice. Any questions can be answered before or after practice.
Weather (Lightning During Practice)
We can swim in the rain, but when there is lightning in the area, swimmers and coaches must clear the pool deck. If this occurs during practice, the coaching staff will take the swimmers into one of the adjacent halls or classrooms for drylands and/or swimming videos and class discussions.
Athlete Code of Conduct
As a member of Rice Aquatics (RICE), I understand and will comply with the following guidelines as set forth by RICE. The intent of these guidelines is to insure that the behavior of RICE swimmers is consistent with RICE policies and objectives. All swimmers are subject to USA Swimming's Code of Conduct.
- All members of the club, whether parents or swimmers, continue to protect and improve the excellent reputation of Rice Aquatics.
- Any swimmer who is known to use alcohol, drugs, or tobacco is subject to suspension from the team.
- Athletes will not speak disrespectfully to other athletes or coaches while at the RICE pool or any team function.
- Team members will display proper respect and sportsmanship toward coaches, meet officials, teammates, competitors and the public.
- Team members will attend all team functions including meetings, warm ups, and competitions unless otherwise excused by the head coach.
Implementation of the Code of Conduct
All team members and staff are apprised in writing of this policy. Annual signature of the document constitutes unconditional agreement to comply with the Code of Conduct as set by Rice Aquatics (RICE). Failure to comply may result in disciplinary actions, which may include but are not limited to:
- Dismissal from team.
- Disqualification from one or more events or all events of competitions.
- Suspension from further team activities for a specific duration.
- Disqualification from future meets.
Action Plan for Bullying
Rice Aquatics takes bullying within our club seriously. This PDF outlines our action plan for identifying, reporting and responding to bullying.
Electronic Communication Policy
This PDF outlines our electronic communication policy.