USA Swimming Safe Sport and the Minor Athlete Abuse Protection Policy
For the Coeur d’Alene Area Swim Team
CAST and USA Swimming are committed to cultivating a safe environment for all our athletes. In order to help facilitate that, our team has adopted the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy.
More information about MAAPP can be found online here-check out this flyer for a brief primer.
To deal with a Safe Sport concern, contact USA Swimming at (719) 866-4578 or online at https://www.usaswimming.org/articles-landing-page/2017/05/08/safe-sport-report
USA Swimming Safe Sport Best Practice Guidelines
Contact the U.S. Center for Safe Sport to make a report. Call (720) 524-5640 or use the online reporting form at https://safesport.i-sight.com/portal or find more information at http://www.uscenterforsafesport.org/
There are free, optional training seminars offered here for parents, and here for athletes aged 12-17.
All athletes 18 and older are required to complete the athlete protection training online.
Full steps to complete the training are found below; note that you will need to sign up for a USA swimming account (there is no charge for setting up the account or taking the training).
Sign in to your usaswimming account under your athlete name. https://www.usaswimming.org/sign-in
Select Safe Sport tab
Scroll down to " Take a Safe Sport Class", choose middle link called Athlete Protection Training and follow word document for steps.
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthday. Make sure to use your legal name. Click the Search button.
- When the system finds you, click on "CONTINUE" to access the LEARN site.
- You must take three courses to complete the requirement:
- "Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education"
- "Mandatory Reporting"
- "Emotional and Physical Misconduct"
- Once you have completed your courses, your membership record will update within 24 hours with a new APT expiration date.
- Your APT will expire 12 months after you complete all three courses.
Members must always enter LEARN via www.usaswimming.org/learn or www.usaswimming.org/apt. If you create a non-member account, you will not receive credit for the courses that you take.
If you get a "No Results Found" message, one of three things has happened:
- You may have made a typo on your name and birthday. Double check and resubmit.
- If everything is correct and you are or have ever been a member of USA Swimming, it is possible that there is a typo in your membership information in the USA Swimming database. Contact your LSC registrar.
- You have never been registered with USA Swimming. You must join through your LSC. New members will be required to have your application form and payment processed by your LSC registrar before you can sign in to complete the course.