1. Find a clinic to attend—all clinic information is posted at the ISI website on the official’s page. Clinic attendance costs $35 which is used to offset the host team’s expenses and provide rule books and certain materials to the attendees.
2. Send in the Non-Athlete Registration form and fee to Illinois Swimming. The Non-Athlete fee covers your insurance and creates your online account with USA Swimming. A small portion of all athlete and non-athlete fees go to the programming and operations of Illinois Swimming.
3. Complete a background check through USA Swimming. All coaches and officials with direct access to athletes are required to have this done. Remember when doing it you are signing on as an official and we do Level 2 background checks. The cost for an initial check is $36.50. Renewal (every two years) is less.
4. Complete the Athlete Protection Training webinar through USA Swimming. This is mandatory for all coaches and officials.
5. Attend your clinic - remember to print or download the class materials from the Officials webpage.
6. Take training cards to your on-deck training to be filled out.
7. Take the online test for your position.
8. Once the training and tests are complete, fill out the form and send all of the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. You will receive an email response when your certification is complete in the system and your card will be ready to print!
10. Some clubs reimburse your expenses, but Illinois Swimming does not. Please check with your club to find out.