1. Find a clinic to attend—all clinic information is posted at the ISI website on the official’s page—the link is HERE. Clinic attendance costs $35 which is used to cover the host’s expenses and materials.
2. Become a non-athlete member. The Non-Athlete fee covers your insurance and creates your online account with USA Swimming. A small portion of all athlete and non-athlete fees go to the programming and operations of Illinois Swimming. You can register online HERE.
3. Complete one of the two approved concussion training webinars. They are available through the National Federation of High Schools and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Submit the certificate to the ISI office via email.
4. Complete a background check through USA Swimming—the link is HERE. All coaches and officials with direct access to athletes are required to have this done. Remember when doing it you are signing on as an official and we do Level 2 background checks.
5. Complete the Athlete Protection Training webinar through USA Swimming. This is mandatory for all coaches and officials. The link is HERE.
6. Attend your clinic - remember to print or download the class materials from the Officials webpage HERE.
7. Take training cards to your on-deck training to be filled out.
8. Take the online test for your position - Stoke and Turn or Admin Official - find the tests HERE.
9. Once the training and tests are complete fill out the form and send all of the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
10. You will receive an email response when your certification is complete in the system and your card will be ready to print!
11. Some clubs reimburse your expenses, but Illinois Swimming does not. Please check with your club to find out.
Questions about becoming an official? Contact email@example.com Please allow several days for a response, since this mailbox is staffed by volunteers. Thank you.