Grievance Procedure for Howard County Aquatics
Your safety is paramount to Howard County Aquatics (HCA) and USA Swimming. If you experience or witness actions or events that concern you or make you feel uncomfortable, it is important to talk to someone about it. This document outlines the processes where a swimmer, parent, or coach can bring forward a complaint or concern.
Who to Contact:
If you have a concern relating to bullying, parent issues, unfair treatment, or violations of the Swimmer, Parent, or Coach Code of Conduct, please reach out to either Coach Jeremy at email@example.com.
If your concern relates to inappropriate behavior or activity that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Criminal Activity
• Use, sale, or distribution of illegal drugs
• Physical abuse
• Inappropriate touching
• Coaches sharing hotel rooms with athletes
• Rubdowns or massages performed by coaches
• Pictures and/or videos taken in locker rooms or changing areas
• Violations of USA Swimming’s Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP)
Please report the incident immediately to SafeSport. You can reach out to Howard County Aquatics SafeSport coordinator, Kelley Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org or USA Swimming SafeSport Director Abigail Howard at email@example.com. Anonymous reporting can be completed here.
If your concern relates to sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, or sexually explicit communication through any media, please contact the U.S. Center for SafeSport to make a report immediately. You can report your concern online or call 720-524-5640. More information can be found at www.safesport.org. Certain people are REQUIRED to report misconduct, and information on mandatory reporting requirements can be found here. If you need guidance, please contact our SafeSport Coordinator, Kelley Simmons.
Grievance Procedure May 2020
Coaches, swimmers, and parents are encouraged to talk with each other to resolve their issues. However, if this isn’t possible, members Howard County Aquatics should know how to file a grievance:
• Swimmers or parents who have a grievance with another swimmer, parent, assistant coach, or official should contact Coach Jeremy in writing within two weeks of the date of occurrence. Coach Jeremy will discuss the problem in a timely and confidential manner. All information will be gathered regarding the situation, which may involve sit-down meetings with all those involved and any witnesses. Decisions will be made within two weeks of notification. Disciplinary action that may be required is explained in more detail in the Swimmer, Parent, and Coach Codes of Conduct.
o For bullying concerns, please also see the Howard County Aquatics Action Plan to Address
• If you are not satisfied with the decision reached by Coach Jeremy (or if a decision is not rendered in the time frame discussed above), you must refer the matter to the HCA Board within three working days of notification of Coach Jeremy (or the end of the time frame discussed above). HCA Board will meet with Coach Jeremy and you will be notified of their decision.
- • Any complaints about Coach Jeremy should be referred to the HCA Board within two weeks of the date of occurrence. The Board will discuss the problem with you in a timely and confidential manner. All information will be gathered regarding the situation, which may involve sit-down meetings with all those involved and any witnesses. Decisions will be made within two weeks of notification. Disciplinary action that may be required is outlined per USA Swimming.
Grievance Procedure Revised May 2020