Swim Meet Tips For Parents
- Dress comfortably. With the exception of IUPUI and our own North Central HS, generally the seating area is very warm and humid. Even in the winter you may want short sleeves. Wear WTSC sportswear if you have it.
- Look for other WTSC parents in the stands. This is a great opportunity to get to know other WTSC parents.
- For younger swimmers, you may want to write their event #’s on their hands. After heat sheets are posted you can add the heat and the lane.
- Pack light snacks for your swimmer (and possibly yourself). Most pools have concessions stands but not necessarily healthy snacks for during a meet.
- Swim meet warm-ups generally last about 1hour and the meet will be about 4 hours. You may want to take your laptop, book, etc to pass the time.
- Take your camera or camcorder
- Parents are not allowed on deck. If your swimmer needs something they will need to come to you.
- Purchase a psych or heat sheet so that you can follow along with the meet. At some meets these are posted online ahead of time or at the time of the meet.
- Have fun!!!!!
Swim Meet Tips for Swimmers
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of warm-ups. This will give you time to get signed in, settled in and ready to swim
- Always check to see if there is a swimmer sign in sheet. If so highlight your name. This lets the meet personnel know that you are there and that you intend to swim.
- Find the team seating area. At most meets this will be on the pool deck in bleachers. At some meets, swimmers will actually campout in a near by gym or hallway. The team sits together during the meet.
- Some pool decks and swimmer camping areas can be cool. Bring a sweatshirt or sweat pants.
- If need be have your parents write your event #’s on your hand
- Get your cap and goggles and be ready for warmups
- Have fun!!!!!!!!!!