Bylaws of the
Oak Creek Swim Team
The name of the organization shall be Oak Creek Swim Team (OCST), a Chartered Member Swim Team of the Irvine Swim League (ISL), a non-profit mutual benefit corporation organized under the California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation Law.
The purpose of the OCST is to provide a fun and safe environment in which boys and girls can improve swim techniques and be introduced to swim competition.
III. PARTICIPATION IN THE ISL
The OCST will participate as a member of good standing in the ISL. All ISL requirements and regulations will be followed, including but not limited to the following:
- Must maintain a minimum of ten (10) and a maximum of 130 active swimmers.
- For children five (5) to eighteen (18) years of age at the start of the season.
IV. GEOGRAPHICAL AREA
The OCST will draw its members solely from the Oak Creek Village Community, as defined by the City of Irvine.
V. GENERAL OPERATION
The OCST will operate in compliance with the terms of its agreements with both the Oak Creek Village Maintenance Association (HOA) and the ISL. Use of the Royal Oak swimming pool and related facilities will be agreed-to on a seasonal basis with the HOA. The terms of this agreement may be modified at any time by mutual consent.
VI. Board of Directors AND OFFICERS
The Board of Directors shall serve without pay and shall consist of an odd number of members.
The Board of Directors shall be comprised, at a minimum, of the following elected Officers.
- President: Must have previously served on the board of directors for at least one year. Responsible for the overall running of the OCST. Acts as liaison with the ISL, the HOA, and the coaching staff. Establishes schedules and assigns duties to Board of Directors' members. Facilitates meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Vice President: Responsible for the registration process and maintaining the wait list. Shall accede to the Presidency if that office becomes vacated at any time during the year.
- Secretary: Responsible for keeping all records related to the OCST and disseminating necessary information to Team Families and the public.
- Treasurer: Responsible for receiving, collecting, depositing, and disbursing all monies received and owed by the OCST. He/she shall keep the usual book of accounts and such records as directed by the Board of Directors and/or ISL.
- DIRECTOR-AT-LARGE: Job description to be defined in July for the following season, prior to solicitation of volunteers and nominations (see Board Membership below).
Should the President and Vice President mutually decide to serve as Co-Presidents, they shall each be allowed one (1) vote. In the event that Co-Presidents are so declared, there shall be no Vice President; rather, the Co-Presidents will be responsible for both jobs.
Additional Board positions may be created and filled at the discretion of the Board, as long as an odd number of board positions is maintained. The Board may appoint standing and ad hoc committees as needed.
The Board of Directors shall be vested with the power and the duty of transacting all business of the OCST. It shall be responsible for making such rules and regulations as shall be deemed advisable, provided only that such rules and regulations are not in conflict with these Bylaws.
Vacancies on the Board of Directors, however created, shall be filled by an election to be held at a special meeting of the Board of Directors. Assuming quorum, the election will be decided by majority vote of the Board Members present.
VII. BOARD MEMBERSHIP
The Board of Directors shall consist only of Team Members' parent(s) and/or guardian(s).
It is recommended that members of the Board of Directors commit to at least two (2) years on the Board to ensure continuity from year to year. It is likewise recommended that an individual commit to the role of president one year in advance so he/she can become familiar with the operation of the Team prior to taking on the role independently.
A Board member may be removed from his/her position with a majority vote of the other Board members.
In mid July, the existing Board of Directors will solicit volunteers and nominations for open positions on the following season's Board of Directors. The existing Board will review the volunteer and nomination list and determine next steps, which may include further recruiting of participants, changing current officers' roles, or conducting an election. After reviewing alternatives with the candidates, the Board will authorize an election in all situations where two or more parents desire the same elected officer's role. Election winners will be declared based on a simple majority of votes cast, with one vote allowed per member family. The format of the election, if required, will be announced at least ten (10) days prior to the election.
VIII. Board of Directors MEETINGS
A Board meeting may be called at any time by the President or by request of one-third (1/3) of the full Board of Directors. Board meetings will be conducted under the direction of the President. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the full Board of Directors. Decisions will be made based on a majority vote taken at the meeting.
Attendance at Board of Directors meetings by non Board members and non OCST families is permitted with 7 days written notice to the team President. Such attendance will be limited to 30 minutes per meeting.
At its meetings, the Board of Directors will discuss and resolve all issues related to the operation of the OCST, including but not limited to the following:
- Operating charter
- Coach selection
- Meet operations
- Participation requirements
- Filling of vacated positions
IX. GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
There will be a minimum of two (2) meetings each season which are to be attended by the Board of Directors, team member parents, and the coaching staff. The initial meeting will be held some time prior to the first official ISL meet. During this meeting, the plans for the coming year will be presented. The final meeting will be held shortly after the ISL Championship Meet in August. During the final meeting, issues for the next season will be discussed, including plans for Officer elections, if necessary.
X. TEAM MEMBERSHIP
In order for a swimmer to qualify as a Team Member, all of the following requirements must be met:
- At least one parent or legal guardian of the swimmer must be a resident of the Oak Creek Village Community during the entire season.
- The swimmer must be able to swim the length of the Royal Oak Pool (25 yards) without assistance.
- The swimmer must participate in at least three (3) regular season ISL meets unless excused in advance by the team's President.
- The swimmer must attend at least 60% of scheduled practices.
- The swimmer's family (Team Family) must pay all registration fees as required by the ISL and the OCST, on time and in full.
- The swimmer's family must fulfill its volunteer commitment as set forth in the OCST's Handbook (see Meet Commitment) and the Parent Obligation Form (signed by each Team Family at registration).
- All swimmers and parents/families must abide by both the OCST and the ISL codes of conduct for swimmers and parents.
Any Team Member may be suspended or expelled from membership by a majority vote of the Board of Directors, provided that such member shall receive seven (7) days notice of such contemplated action and shall be entitled to be heard before action is taken.
Priority Registration for the subsequent season will be offered to returning Team Members only if they and their parents/families have met all of the membership criteria outlined in items 1 through 7 above. Team Members not eligible for Priority Registration will be so notified in writing prior to the end of the current year.
XI. Team Member Registration
Registration to fill the 130 positions on the OCST will occur as set forth in the OCST's formal Registration Policy which is attached to these Bylaws (Attachment 1).
All registration fees must be paid by the established due dates. The ISL (insurance) portion of the fee is non-refundable once the Team Member has been registered with the ISL. The refund schedule will be announced prior to registration each season.
The fiscal year of the OCST shall begin on the first day of January and end on the last day of December, each year.
No disbursement of funds shall be made until first approved by the OCST Treasurer or, in the absence of the Treasurer, the OCST President. All disbursements require a receipt for business purposes.
All checks, drafts, demands for money and notes shall be signed by two (2) elected Officers of the Board of Directors.
Only those Team Families that have Team Members in good standing for more than thirty (30) days prior to the annual meeting held in August shall be eligible to vote for Officers. A quorum shall consist of 50% plus one (1) of Team Families. Each Team Family shall be entitled to one (1) vote, regardless of its number of Team Members.
XIV. Amendments to These Bylaws
These Bylaws may be amended by repeal and new and additional Bylaws may be adopted only by a majority of the voting members (aka Member Families) at the regular annual meeting of members held in August.
Amendments must be proposed in writing and filed with the Secretary at least fifteen (15) days prior to the above-mentioned meeting.
Amended Bylaws become effective immediately, unless found to be in conflict with the ISL Bylaws. The bylaws, as amended, must be submitted to the ISL.
I certify that the forgoing Bylaws of the Oak Creek Swim Team were duly adopted by the Team Members' Families on August 10, 2008. The foregoing Bylaws supersede, in their entirety, those dated January 2005 and August 2006.
Secretary (printed name) Date