Who does the coaching and what are their certifications?
We have a staff of professional, experienced coaches who love what they do. They are all certified through USA Swimming and are required to maintain CPR, Coaches Safety & First Aid plus other coaching certifications.
Do I have to buy a USA Swim Card to join the team?
Yes! We require all of our swimmers to have a USA Swim Card. This fee is added to the registration fee and is non-refundable. Benefits include:
* Subscription to USA swimming's award-winning Splash Magazine.
* Opportunity to swim in USA Swimming meets, open only to members!
* Eligibility to participate in local and national swimming camps.
* Opportunity to qualify to become a member of the U.S. World or Olympic Swim Teams!
* Ability to track your times through a "My USA Swimming" account.
* Excess accident and liability insurance – covers all USA Swimming-sanctioned activities.
* Opportunity to receive a certificate of accomplishment by achieving Top 10 times.
* Discounts on travel – special rates on United for travel to USA Swimming events. Check out this link for more information
Does my swimmer have to compete in meets?
No.. Competing is always optional; however, it is strongly encouraged.
Yes, swimming is a great exercise that will help encourage healthy habits for a lifetime, but most kids are not motivated by those kinds of "adult" goals. Kids' goals are more immediate, whether they're highly competitive or not. They want to feel that they can do something. Competitive swimming is a terrific way for kids to feel a sense of individual achievement while at the same time being part of a team.
While not every swimmer can come in first, every swimmer can strive to achieve their personal best in every event they swim. Dropping a second or more off your previous time in an event is always a reason to celebrate and proves that hard work at practice pays off.
Do I have to be a good swimmer to join the team?
You need to be able to swim freestyle and backstroke for 25 yards - the length of most indoor pools. We will teach you the rest. If you cannot swim the minimum, our lesson program will teach you how and you can move to the team when you are ready. Everybody has a place at VSC.