Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Blended Learning Course
The purpose of the American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches course is to teach those involved in competitive swimming, including coaches, officials, athletic trainers and aquatic exercise trainers, how to help maintain a safe and comfortable environment for swimmers, prevent accidents and emergencies, and respond to swimmers with illnesses or injuries in water or on land. This program is offered in a blended learning format.
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
2. Must be comfortable in chest-deep water
• Understand the guidelines for responsible coaching and professional conduct, and the legal responsibilities of a professional coach.
• Understand the coach’s responsibility for providing a safe and positive sport environment, including raising awareness of, and actively working to prevent, abuse in the sport.
• Understand the safety considerations that are paramount in planning athlete training and swim practices in pools, on dry land and in open-water situations.
• Understand the safety rules and guidelines that must be followed when teaching and practicing turns and entries.
• Understand the coach’s role in emergency planning and response.
• Learn how to recognize and respond to common first aid emergencies.
• Demonstrate how to perform basic assists to a swimmer in distress.
CURRENT CLASS SCHEDULE
For information on upcoming courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org