Crescent City Swim Club (CCSC) Grievance Procedure
The CCSC Grievance Procedure provides swimmers, parents, coaches, club leaders and employees a system to address and report grievances in a productive, systematic way. Following these Procedures provides the appropriate parties a means to properly investigate, intervene, and take disciplinary action when needed.
WHERE TO REPORT:
For issues dealing with sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and/or sexually explicit or inappropriate communication through social media:
- U.S. Center for SafeSport: 720-524-5640 or https://safesport.i-sight.com/portal
For issues dealing with physical abuse, emotional abuse, criminal charges and the use, sale or distribution of illegal drugs:
- USA Swimming Safe Sport: [email protected] or
For issues dealing with known or suspected child abuse:
- For emergencies, dial 911
- For local authorities, call Jefferson Parish Police: (504) 363-5500
For issues dealing with peer-to-peer bullying, coach-athlete bullying, parent issues, violations of the CCSC Code of Conduct and violations of the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy.
- These issues are handled at the club level following the procedures outlined below.
WHOM TO NOTIFY OF A GRIEVANCE (Chain of Command)
Regarding the Conduct of a Swimmer - Contact the swimmer’s coach.
- Should a parent or swimmer feel another swimmer’s conduct is inappropriate or violates the CCSC Code of Conduct, the parent/swimmer should discuss these concerns with the coach of the swimmer responsible for the violation (Responsible Coach). This complaint should be made in person or in writing. Coaches will ensure the CCSC Informative Board of Directors is notified of the complaint and will participate in assessing behavior.
Regarding the Conduct of an Assistant or Age Group Coach - Contact the Head Coach
- Should a parent or swimmer feel an Assistant or Age Group Coach’s conduct is inappropriate or in violation of any Club policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should notify the Head Coach of this violation. This complaint should be made in person or in writing. The Head Coach will ensure that the CCSC Informative Board of Directors is notified of the complaint and will participate in assessing behavior.
Regarding Conduct of Head Coach – Notify the SafeSport Informative Director
- Should a parent or swimmer feel the Head Coach’s conduct is inappropriate or violates any Club policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should notify the SafeSport Informative Director of this violation. This complaint should be made in person or in writing. If this person is not immediately available, this complaint may be presented to any member of the Informative Board of Directors, with notification made in writing to the SafeSport Informative Director. This complaint will be subject to review and discussion by the full Board.
Regarding Parent or Swim Official Conduct- Notify the Head Coach
- Should a parent or swimmer feel another CCSC parent’s or an official’s conduct is inappropriate or violates any Club policies or procedures, the parent/swimmer should notify the Head Coach of this violation in person or in writing. This complaint will be reviewed and discussed by the full Board of Informative Directors.
Note: With the exception of issues, which immediately affect the health and safety of swimmers, all matters should be discussed before or after a coaching session, as coaches should not be expected to deal with issues during water time.
HOW GRIEVANCES WILL BE HANDLED
The Head Coach has the authority to impose penalties for infractions of the CCSC Athlete, Parent and Coach Codes of Conduct or any behavior(s) they deem not conducive to the best interests of the Club or other swimmers. Consequences are at the sole discretion of the coaches and may include, but aren’t limited to, verbal warnings, dismissal from practice, contacting parents, temporary suspension from club activities and expulsion. Involved parties will be informed of the processes and range of potential consequences. The U.S. Center for SafeSport, USA Swimming and local law enforcement (if applicable) will be contacted within 24 hours if a coach, parent, or swimmer violates the SafeSport Code for the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movements, the USA Swimming Code of Conduct, Athlete Protection Policy, or local laws.
Gathering Information: The appropriate individuals will contact the person who filed the grievance, and the person against whom the grievance is being filed, to ask questions about what happened. In addition, other witnesses may be contacted for more information. All information will be recorded on the [insert team name] grievance procedure form.
Assessing Behavior: The behavior of the person(s) against which the grievance was brought, will be assessed using club policies and facility rules, USA Swimming Code of Conduct, USA Swimming Safe Sport policies, as well as applicable local and state laws.
Consequences will be given and disciplinary action will be taken, if appropriate. These consequences and disciplinary actions will be decided using the following general guidelines:
Nature of the misconduct
Severity of the misconduct
Prior disciplinary actions
Adverse effect of the misconduct
Application of the Code of Conduct