GO SWIMMING YMCA and USA Swim Team
Code of Conduct
The undersigned athlete participating on the GO Swimming YMCA and/ or USA Swim Team agrees to abide by the standards of conduct outlined below in addition to those established by the staff for both short and long course seasons. All team members are expected to:
- Offer congratulations to opponents, win or lose, and cheer on their teammates.
- Follow the directions of the coaching staff during practice, meets, and other team activities.
- Not possess, sell, or use alcohol, tobacco, or any non-prescribed drugs. This behavior is not tolerated.
- Not remove or take any article that does not belong to them, such as clothing, jewelry, or money
- Respect the property of the YMCA and any other facility the team may visit or use.
- Display proper respect and sportsmanship toward coaches, officials, and administrators, fellow competitors, parents, and the public.
- Promote positive team spirit and morale, which includes being humble in victory and courageous in defeat. Deal justly, kindly, impartially, and intelligently with all fellow team members.
- Refrain from all illegal or inappropriate behaviors that would detract from a positive image of the team or be detrimental to its performance objectives.
Swim team Family Conduct
Our parents and supporters are expected to be Second-Goal Parents ® (from the Positive Coaching Alliance), who “leaves the scoreboard and meets to coaches and athletes and focuses on the life lessons a child takes from sports.”
- Support your child no matter how they perform.
- Behave well, accept, and support any calls/officials decisions, especially when in disagreement.
- Cheer for and recognize accomplishments of all athletes, even those on the other team.
- Avoid critiquing/criticizing your child’s performance- that is the coaches job.
- Know and use the ELM Tree of Mastery (E for Effort, L for Learning, M for bouncing back from Mistakes)
- Recognize and help reinforce life lessons to guide your child to becoming a well- rounded person.
Failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in, but not be limited to:
A. Swimmers are not allowed participation in some or all team activities.
B. Swimmer immediately being sent home at their expense
C. Swimmer being temporarily or permanently dismissed from the team
The coach in charge, along with the Head Coach and the Aquatics Director will make the final decision in matters of discipline or dismissal based on the degree of violation of the above code by the swimmer or parent(s). Any swimmer removed from the team for behavior reasons will not be refunded any money.