The U16 Program targets athletes looking to refine their fundamental skiing skills and develop strong gate tactics. Training is based on the competition schedule and athletes are called upon for a greater level of commitment to their sport.
All U16 and younger participants are asked to participate in 75% of the regular weekend practices. The optional December Holiday Camp and weeknight practices are strongly encouraged but not required.
Ages: 14-15 years old
- All the U12-14 Program requirements, plus:
- Must have expert skiing skills, able to make dynamic C-shaped parallel turns in a narrow corridor on expert terrain (e.g. Upper Ultra) with shin contact on the front of the boot.
- Must be comfortable at speed on all terrain at Liberty Mountain.
- Commitment to participate in 75% of the regular weekend practices
- Must have appropriate ski racing equipment, including:
- Both GS and slalom skis designed for ski racing (SL skis must be longer than 130cm; GS skis must have a turn radius of at least 17 meters);
- Properly sized and fitted high-performance (4 buckle) junior boots (or race boots); the skier must be able to flex them in cold temperatures (and easily at room temperature);
- Slalom pole and shin guards are required;
- A helmet designed for ski racing (the hard shell must cover the ears). Helmet must adhere to the FIS RH 2013 certification standard and have the appropriate decal visible while wearing the helmet (i.e. no other stickers or goggle straps covering the decal), and should not have any attachments on the shell (e.g. action camera mounts);
- Appropriate ski clothing. Speed/GS suits are recommended but not required.
- Saturday and Sundays, 8AM-3PM from resort opening (usually the 2nd weekend in December) through the 2nd weekend in March
- Focuses on free skiing and strong fundamentals, while adding GS and slalom gate tactics and racing to the athletes’ skill development
- Methodology includes free skiing drills, directed free skiing as a group, gate drills, AM gate training, video analysis, goal setting, and other group activities
- Training time is split roughly equally between gate training on various terrain and conditions, and drills and directed free skiing
- Includes option of Tu/Th PM practice and December Holiday Camp (included free), and participants are eligible for optional early-season camp
- Sportsmanship and positive team dynamics are an important part this program
- Ski racing is an inherently risky sport and regular practice is essential for success as well as to help reduce the risk of serious injury.
- All U16 and younger athletes are required to participate in 75% of the regular weekend practices.
- Weeknight practices and the optional holiday camp are not required but they are strongly encouraged.
- All Central Division U16 Qualification events as recommended by coaches
- PARA U14/U16 Speed Camp at Blue Mountain
- PA Cup events as recommended by coaches (2nd year U16s only)
- Possible regonal open-registration post-season races as recommended by coaches