SJAC Swim Team Travel Policy
Swim Team Travel is defined as any trip in which part or all of the team travels to and from a competition which requires swimmers/coaches to stay overnight in a hotel.
Team Travel Meet Fee
- To help us offset the expense of travel meets, we will be instituting a $50 charge for any swimmer attending that travel meet.
- This would mean any meet where the coaches are required to stay over at a hotel
- E.g. North Carolina, Junior National Cup, JO’s, Elite Classic, MA Champs, Bucknell, etc
- Swimmers will have the opportunity to offset the cost of the travel charge through fundraising (e.g. Swim-A-Thon).
- For Single Swimmer Families
- If a swimmer raises $200, 1 travel fee will be waived
- If a swimmer raises $300, 2 travel fees will be waived
- If a swimmer raises $350, 3 travel fees will be waived
- For Multi Swimmer Families
- If a family raises $300, 2 travel fees will be waived
- If a family raises $350, 3 travel fees will be waived
- If a family raises $400, 4 travel fees will be waived
- If a family raises $450, 6 travel fees will be waived
Practice Attendance Requirement for Team Travel Meets
- Any swimmers wishing to attend North Carolina, Spring Travel Meets (Dolfin Junior Nationals, NASA Age Group Champs), or Summer Travel Meets (Middle Atlantic Long Course Championships, JO's, etc) must carry a practice attendance rate of at least 80% leading into that meet.
- Swimmers whose attendance rate is below 80% without sufficient reason will not be allowed to attend the specified meet.
Rules for Swimmers During Designated Rest Period
- During the designated fine-tuning period prior to the December and/or March/April travel meets (usually 2 weeks prior to the designated meet), swimmers are not permitted to attend practices or swim in meets with teams other than SJAC.
- Swimmers who are found to be in violation of this rule will be pulled from the trip. Any fees already paid will be forfeited.
General Travel Meet Policies
- Club travel policies must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club.
- Team managers and chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming-administered criminal background check.
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, the athlete must have his/her parents’ (or legal guardian’s) written permission in advance to travel alone with the coach.
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, at the competition the coach and athlete should attempt to establish a “buddy” club to associate with during the competition and when away from the venue.
- Team members and staff traveling with the team will attend all team functions including meetings, practices, meals, meet sessions, etc. unless otherwise excused or instructed by the head coach or his/her designee.
- The directions & decisions of coaches/chaperones are final.
- Swimmers are expected to remain with the team at all times during the trip.
- Swimmers are not to leave the competition venue, the hotel, a restaurant, or any other place at which the team has gathered without the permission/knowledge of their coach
- When visiting public places such as shopping malls, movie theatres, etc. swimmers will stay in groups of no less than three persons. 12 & Under athletes will be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- The Head Coach or his/her designee shall make a written report of travel policy or code of conduct violations to the appropriate club (LSC) leadership and the parent or legal guardian of any affected minor athlete.
- Transportation to and from a meet is the responsibility of the team member and their family.
- Depending on the meet, the coaching staff may provide transportation to the swimmers from hotel to pool and pool to hotel. Parents will be given advanced notice in either case.
- Athletes should not ride in a coach’s vehicle without another adult present who is the same gender as the athlete, unless prior parental permission is obtained.
- Unless their is a reason beyond the family/swimmers' control (i.e. the hotel is booked) ALL swimmers are required to stay at the designated team hotel.
- To ensure the propriety of the athletes and to protect the staff, there will be no male athletes in female athlete’s rooms and no female athletes in male athlete’s rooms (unless the other athlete is a sibling or spouse of that particular athlete).
- Curfews shall be established by the team each day of the trip.
- During overnight team travel, if athletes are paired with other athletes they shall be of the same gender and should be a similar age:
- Where athletes are age 13 & Over, chaperones and/or team managers would ideally stay in nearby rooms. When athletes are age 12 & Under, chaperones and/or team managers may stay with athletes.
- During team travel, when doing room checks, attending team meetings and/or other activities, two-deep leadership and open and observable environments should be maintained.
- Regardless of gender, a coach shall not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangement with an athlete (unless the coach is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete).
- Where chaperones/team managers are staying in a room with athletes, they should be the same gender as the athlete and written consent should be given by athlete’s parents (or legal guardian)