Lancaster Aquatic Club Travel Policy
In accordance with USA swimming policy the LAC travel policy:
- All club travel forms must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club (see below)
- All chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming-administered criminal background check. The number of chaperones needed will be set by the number of swimmers attending the meet. Chaperones must sign up in September if interested in helping at various meets.
- Regardless of gender, a coach shall not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangement with an athlete (unless the coach is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete).
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, the athlete must have his/her parents’ (or legal guardian’s) written permission in advance to travel alone with the coach. When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, at the competition the coach and athlete should attempt to establish a “buddy” club to associate with during the competition and when away from the venue.
All forms must be submitted to coach before the meet departure, if forms are not submitted the swimmer will not be allowed to travel. No forms will be accepted the day of the meet. The three forms that must be signed by parent and swimmer are:
- Club Code of Conduct
- Liability Release and/or Indemnification form
- Medical Consent/Authorization to Treat Form
Financial Policy for travel meets:
- For all a/b/c meets, all swimmers entered in a meet will be charged a surcharge of the greater of the host meet surcharge or $5 to help defray coaches travel costs. If Middle Atlantic charges a surcharge no LAC surcharge will be applicable. Meets that LAC charges each swimmer a flat fee per meet (5 star cup, Annapolis) will not be subject to the surcharge.
- As it relates to LAC swimmers traveling to upper level qualifying meets accompanied by one or more LAC coaches (such meets as are eligible for reimbursement by the swimmer from MA)
- Each swimmer will be responsible for his air fare and related fees (luggage included)
- Where a van or other mode of transportation is rented to travel as a group to the meet or for local transportation, the expense (including parking) shall be split among all participants (coaches, chaperones and swimmers) equally.
- One team meal per trip may be paid for by the club not to exceed $15 per person. This allowance may be terminated by board discretion at any time. At no time shall alcoholic beverages be paid for with club funds.
- Chaperones may share rooms if they so desire but costs will be paid by chaperone unless a meet such as Sectionals is specified by LAC board.
It is expected if parents who are not chaperones travel as well, they will be responsible for their own lodging etc. Similar to MA zone policy, swimmers are expected to “travel with the team” and share in the swimmers common expenses. Written notice of a need for late arrival or early departure must be submitted either 24 hours prior to late arrival or 24 hours pre early departure. Requests for individual exception should be brought before the board prior to the meet with adequate time consideration. Swimmers who do want individual accommodations will still share in expenses.
- When swimmers are expecting MA travel reimbursement, paperwork will be compiled by the head coach, the team treasurer, or a designated parent representative. Parents are expected to notify such person and confirm that reimbursement is to be applied for. Reimbursement checks will be payable and sent directly to LAC. Due to the timing of the expenses incurred and reimbursed, families should expect to pay the costs upfront or to LAC and then be reimbursed. Once the reimbursement from MA is received, LAC will reimburse the families as the money is received from MA. Also upon completion of the meet, any cash advances given to the coach or chaperones, a full accounting expense report will need to be completed and any excess funds will be returned.
- During the season LAC swimmers may take team travel meets. In order to cover various and additional costs a surcharge for travel may / will be added to the cost/swimmer. This fee will either be $25.00 or $50.00 depending on what type of meet it is. This fee will be clearly communicated when the meet is posted for entry. This fee is only for senior and senior prep swimmers and travel meets associated with those group.
Swimmer Policy for travel:
- Swimmers are expected to travel as a member of LAC and as such will be given an estimate of such expenses (hotel, air fare, common expenses) before the meet. A deposit may be required. Hotel rooms will be shared by swimmers in a number to reasonably fit in the room and minimize cost. c) During overnight team travel, if athletes are paired with other athletes they shall be of the same gender and should be a similar age. Where athletes are age 13 & Over, chaperones and/or team managers would ideally stay in nearby rooms. a) During team travel, when doing room checks, attending team meetings and/or other activities, two-deep leadership and open and observable environments should be maintained
- Athletes should not ride in a coach’s vehicle without another adult present who is the same gender as the athlete, unless prior parental permission is obtained.
- To ensure the propriety of the athletes and to protect the staff, there will be no male athletes in female athlete’s rooms and no female athletes in male athlete’s rooms (unless the other athlete is a sibling or spouse of that particular athlete).
- Curfews shall be established and enforced each day of the trip.
- Team members and staff traveling with the team will attend all team functions including meetings, practices, meals, meet sessions, etc. unless otherwise excused or instructed by the head coach or his/her designee.
- The directions & decisions of coaches/chaperones are final.
- Swimmers are expected to remain with the team at all times during the trip. Swimmers are not to leave the competition venue, the hotel, a restaurant, or any other place at which the team has gathered without the permission/knowledge of the coach or chaperone. If a swimmer is departing early from a travel meet with a parent/guardian, written permission must be given to the Head Coach or chaperone 24 hours prior to departure, or the release of the swimmer will not be allowed. Swimmers will stay in groups of no less than three persons
- The Head Coach will make a written report of travel policy or code of conduct violations to the LAC board and the parent or legal guardian of any affected minor and any future travel with the team may be imposed.
Additional Swimmer Travel Policy:
- Additional guidelines to be established as needed by the coaches
- Supervised team room provided for relaxation and recreation
- Respect the privacy of each other
- Where possible only use hotel rooms with interior entrances.
- Must wear seat belts and remain seated in vehicles.
- Be quiet and respect the rights of teammates and others in hotel
- Be prompt and on time
- Respect travel vehicles
- Use appropriate behavior in public facilities.
- Must stay in assigned hotel room
- Needs and well-being of the team come first
- No room service
- Swimmers responsible for all incidental charges
- Swimmers responsible for any damages or thievery at hotel
- Must participate in contracted group meals