THY Philosophy, Goals, and Objectives
Every day we strive to provide an environment where personal excellence, honesty and commitment are expected. We will create the opportunity for swimmers of all levels to develop mind, body, character and spirit and achieve the highest levels of personal growth as well as achievement in the sport.
Aligned with the YMCA common core values of being a caring, honest, respectful, and responsible athlete, you will also find:
- Excellence in professional coaching and programs to develop individuals to the best of their abilities to compete at the highest levels;
- An atmosphere that inspires swimmers to achieve their maximum potential through a strong work ethic, discipline, self-motivation and self esteem;
- Team unity where everyone encourages and takes pride in each other at all levels of competition;
- Instilling a life-long love of swimming through enjoyment and accomplishment at all levels of swimming.
A meet schedule will be put out in the beginning of the season. This schedule is tentative and subject to change. THY swimmers generally compete in one meet per month from October through March. Meet entries are done thru online meet entry by swimmers and then confirmed by the coaches prior to submission. THY is a YMCA team first and a USA team second.
- To provide a quality competitive YMCA/USA Swimming swim program for Senior level, and Age-Group, and Developmental level swimmers.
- To provide an opportunity for the personal growth of the swimmer as an individual and as a member of the team.
- To help all members of YMCA Swim Team families reach their God given potential in spirit, mind and body.
- To embrace the YMCA’s mission for Youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility, and
- Reinforce the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- To seek team members who work hard, are dedicated and who want to do what it takes to reach their potential
- That building the concept of "team" ... even within an individual sport, it is critical to the philosophy of our club.
Individual Goal Setting
We believe it is very important for swimmers to establish goals that give direction and focus for both the near and long-term. The coaches will meet with each individual swimmer once the season has started and assist them in mapping out their goals, reassessing, and putting them on paper. There will be constant follow-up throughout the season.
At the senior level there is an expectation of ownership of the goals by the athletes. This expectation is greater as an athlete gets older. At the end of the day this is their swimming career – it is proven that the great athletes are the ones that embrace this ownership. This doesn’t mean that the coaching staff will be silent on monitoring the goals – it does mean that we will encourage them to embrace the goals that have been jointly developed and mentor the athletes to embrace the process and commitment that are needed to achieve them.
In the end, goals are less about a specific time, but more about outlining what needs to be done to realize them.
Objectives for Success