Why Choose Swimming for Your Child?
With all of the sports and activities that children have to choose from today, why choose swimming?
First of all, the USA Swimming program is the country's largest program of guided fitness activity for children. Age group swimming builds a strong foundation for a lifetime of good health by teaching healthy fitness habits.
In addition, many pediatricians recommend swimming as the VERY BEST developmental activity for children. Why do doctors like it so much?
- Swimming develops high quality aerobic endurance; the most important key to physical fitness. In other sports, an hour of practice may yield as little as 10 minutes of meaningful exercise. Age group swimming teams use every precious minute of practice time developing fitness and teaching skills.
- Swimming does a better job in proportional muscular development by using all the body's major muscle groups. No other sport does this as well.
- Swimming enhances children's natural flexibility (at a time when they ordinarily begin to lose it) by exercising all their major joints through a full range of motion.
- Swimming helps develop superior coordination because it requires combinations of complex movements of all parts of the body, enhancing harmonious muscle function, grace and fluidity of movement.
- Swimming is the most injury free of all children's sports.
- Swimming is a sport that will bring children fitness and enjoyment for life. Participants in Master's swimming programs are still training and racing well into their 80's.