YCM Code of Conduct:
- I agree to conduct myself in a courteous, respectful and exemplary manner
- I recognize that the reputation of myself, my family, YCM Swimming and the Y in Central Maryland is affected by and dependent upon my conduct, words and behavior at all times
- I will conform to all rules, regulations and procedures announced by the coaches & Y Staff
- I will abide by the USA swimming Code of Conduct (see below)
- I will compete in all of my events to the best of my ability
- I will not in any way endanger the safety of another swimmer
Parents and Families:
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support verbally and by my actions for all swimmers, coaches and officials at every meet, practice or any other event
- I will trust the coaches and Y staff to approach officials and representatives of other teams when and if any issues arise, and will not approach or contact these representatives myself
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my child ahead of my personal desire to win, remembering that the sport is for youth - not adults
- I will require my child to treat all other swimmers, coaches, fans and officials with respect
- I will remember that the YCM coaches are accredited, trained professionals.
- I recognize that the reputation of myself, my family, YCM Swimming and the Y is affected by and dependent upon my conduct, words and behavior at all times
Swimmers and families further acknowledge that the following conduct is unacceptable and will not be tolerated:
- Possession or use of illegal drugs
- Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products by swimmers
- Use of profanity or inappropriate language
- Inappropriate or unsupervised activities between team members
- Bullying of any kind
I understand and accept that failure to abide by the YCM SWIM TEAM or Y CODE OF ETHICS FOR SWIMMERS AND FAMILIES may result in immediate disciplinary action, including but not limited to the following:
- Suspension from the meet, event or practice session
- Suspension or expulsion from the team
- Forfeiture of all payments or credits for participation in the meet or event
- Dismissal from the Y and the team. If the dismissal occurs while on a trip, the cost of the immediate return trip will be at the swimmer's/parent's expense
- Any combination of the above
I understand that YCM Coaches & Y Staff judgment will prevail in any disciplinary action that arises and that any code interpretation will be the sole responsibility of the Coaches & Y Staff.
USA Swimming 2018 CODE OF CONDUCT
304.1 The mission of USA Swimming is to encourage participation and the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of swimming. USA Swimming grants the privilege of membership to individuals and organizations committed to that mission. The privilege of membership may, therefore, be withdrawn or denied by USA Swimming at any time where USA Swimming determines that a member or prospective member's conduct is inconsistent with the mission of the organization or the best interest of the sport and those who participate in it.
In order to assist all members to better serve the interests of those who participate in swimming,
USA Swimming has adopted this Code of Conduct.
304.2 Any member, former member, or prospective member of USA Swimming is subject to the jurisdiction of the Board of Review. Any member, former member, or prospective member of
USA Swimming may be denied membership, censured, placed on probation, suspended for a definite or indefinite period of time with or without terms of probation, fined or expelled from USA
Swimming for life if such person violates the provisions of the USA Swimming Code of Conduct, set forth in 304.3, or aids, abets or encourages another person to violate any of the provisions of the USA Swimming Code of Conduct. USA Swimming shall initiate an investigation of any former member of USA Swimming when a report required under 306.1 is received.
304.3 The following shall be considered violations of the USA Swimming Code of Conduct:
.1 Violation of the right to compete provisions set forth in Article 301.
.2 Violation of the anti-doping provisions set forth in 303.3.
.3 Discrimination in violation of the Amateur Sports Act which requires that USA Swimming must provide an equal opportunity to athletes, coaches, trainers, managers, administrators, and officials to participate in the sport of swimming. Athletes must be allowed to participate and compete to the fullest extent allowed by the Rules and Regulations. Discrimination against any member or participant on the basis of age, gender, race, ethnicity, culture, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, genetics, mental or physical disability, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, where applicable, is prohibited.
.4 Violation of any of the Athlete Protection Policies set forth in Article 305.
.5 Violation of any of the Sexual Misconduct Reporting Requirements set forth in Article 306 or the Prohibitions Against Retaliation for Good Faith Reporting of Abuse set forth in Article 307.
.6 Conviction of, imposition of a deferred sentence for, or any plea of guilty or no contest at any time, past or present, or the existence of any pending charges, for (i) any felony, (ii) any offense involving use, possession, distribution or intent to distribute illegal drugs or substances, (iii) any crime involving sexual misconduct, or (iv) any criminal offense against a minor.
.7 The use of illegal drugs in the presence of an athlete, by a coach, official, trainer, or a person who, in the context of swimming, is in a position of authority over, that athlete.
.8 The providing of alcohol to an athlete by a coach, official, trainer, manager or any other person where the athlete is under the legal age allowed to consume or purchase alcohol in the state where the alcohol is provided.
.9 The abuse of alcohol in the presence of an athlete under the age of eighteen (18), by a coach, official, trainer, or a person who, in the context of swimming, is in a position of authority over that athlete.
.10 For any USA Swimming member club or coach to knowingly: A allow any person who has been sanctioned with a membership suspension by the Center for SafeSport or USA Swimming to coach or instruct any of its athlete members, B aid or abet coaching or instruction of athletes by any person who has been sanctioned with a membership suspension by the Center for SafeSport or USA Swimming or C allow any person who has been sanctioned with a membership suspension by the Center for SafeSport or USA Swimming to have an ownership interest in such USA Swimming club or its related entities. Measures to be adjudicated by the USA Swimming Zone Boards of Review
.11 Any act of fraud, deception or dishonesty in connection with any USA Swimming-related activity.
.12 Any non-consensual physical contact, obscene language or gesture, or other threatening language or conduct directed towards any meet official and which is related to any decision made by such official in connection with a USA Swimming sanctioned competition.
.13 Action, other than through general advertising, by a coach, owner, officer, volunteer, representative, or employee of a swim club, or a USA Swimming or LSC employee, either through direct contact with an athlete or the encouragement of others, to recruit or otherwise encourage an athlete who is already a member of a USA Swimming member swim club to leave that club, unless the acting party receives prior written approval to recruit or encourage the athlete to change affiliation from the designated club representative of the athlete's existing USA Swimming-member swim club or contact is initiated by the athlete, the athlete's parent or authorized representative. General advertising includes any information that is: A Distributed to an identifiable general population where there is a reasonable expectation that the majority of that population are not current members of USA Swimming, or B Placed in or on any item that is sold. In the event of a violation of this section, a sanction may be imposed against any coach, owner, officer, volunteer, representative or employee of a swim club, or against any such club, or any combination thereof, as appropriate.
.14 Violation of any team misconduct rule as established by the USOC, USA Swimming, any Zone or LSC team authority.
.15 Any other material and intentional act, conduct or omission not provided for above, which is detrimental to the image or reputation of USA Swimming, a LSC or the sport of swimming. Measure to be adjudicated by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
.16 Violation of the anti-doping provisions set forth in 303.3. Measure to be adjudicated by the U.S. Center for SafeSport
.17 Violation of the SafeSport Code