September 25, 2017 through March 4, 2018
There is a two week free trial from September 25th through October 6th for swimmers that have not swum on the Stripers swim team before. You must preregister for this either at the Membership Services Desk at one of the branch locations of the YMCA of Southern Maine or online here http://www.ymcaofsouthernmaine.org/main/online-registration/
Minimum Requirements to Join:
- Must be 6 years old on or by 9/25/17.
- Must be able to swim freestyle with rotary breathing as well as backstroke comfortably the length of the pool non-stop.
- Must be an annual or draft (youth, single adult family or family) member of the YMCA of Southern Maine.
Commitment Expectations Once You Have Joined:
- Swimmers are required to participate in a minimum of 4 YMCA swim meets, including 1 away meets, 2 home meet, and the Y-States meet in Orono in March.
- Participate in team fundraisers.
- Parents should be willing to be active volunteers to help run meets and team activities. We simply cannot run meets without parent volunteers!
View the practice times by clicking on "Calendar" in the red bar at the top of this page and then selecting your child's age group from the drop-down menu.
View the scheduled swim meets by clicking on "Calendar" in the red bar at the top of this page and then selecting "General Calendar" from the drop-down menu.
For those wishing to participate in a few more meets, we also compete in the Maine Swimming/USA Swimming League. The fee to join this program is an additional $69.00 for the 2018 year round athlete. There are also fees to swim at each USAS meet.
- We will have a parent welcome and orientation meeting on Mondayday, October 2nd, at 5:30pm and a second parent meeting at 6:30pm. Please attend the meeting that works best with your swimmer's age group, both new and returning parents are welcome to attend.
- We are looking for parents to take leadership roles by helping with team functions, concessions, meet management, officiating, etc. Please contact head coach, Suzi Boccanfuso, if you are curious or interested.
Each season the Casco Bay Branch Stripers Swim Team participates in a team fundraiser called the Aqua-Thon to support the Y's Annual Campaign. This year, we expect over $710,000 in financial assistance will be provided to 6,000 youth, individuals, and families to ensure participation in all YMCA programs, (including the swim team) regardless of their ability to pay. That means that 1 out of every 3 members receive some form of financial assistance!
Each season the Stripers Swim Team has 130+ boys and girls who participate in the YMCA swim team program. Throughout the season participants improve on strokes, endurance, make new friends, travel to other YMCAs to participate in swim meets, learn about teamwork, positive work ethic, character development, and of course, have fun!
We are going to shake up the Aqua-Thon format this year! The goal is that swimmers obtain donors who pledge a dollar amount (either per-lap or straight donations) and then the swimmers participate in a special practice that tests their endurance. Details of this year's Aqua-Thon will be announced soon. Last year the team raised $5200 to help with financial assistance. The team is hoping we get closer to the $10,000 barrier this year!
- 10 and under: $355
- 11 & older: $470
- High School Swimmer Option $305 (a two day per week commitment for those swimmers who also swim with their high school swim team in addition to Stripers. Practice times are limited during the high school swim season.)
Register online now! http://www.ymcaofsouthernmaine.org/main/online-registration/
Membership Prices Are:
- A YMCA of Southern Maine membership is required for participation in the swim team, however non-members can try swim team for free during the 2-week free trial period (registration for the free-trial period is still required).
- There are many different membership options. Please contact our Membership Desk at 865-9600 to discuss all membership options.
- Payment plans for swim team are available and will be scheduled for automatic deductions.
The YMCA mission states that “no one will be turned away due to inability to pay.” Financial assistance is available for those in need of this support. Applications are available at the membership desk.
Payment or payment arrangements are due with registration. Registration and payment can be received at the Casco Bay Branch membership desk or online. Membership, payment plans and financial aid must be done at the membership desk.
The suggested team suit will cost between $40-$60 for girls and $35-$40 for boys. There are alternate acceptable suits as well listed in the team store at www.swimoutlet.com/cbrystripers that maybe more inexpensive.
- Head Swim Coach: Suzi Boccanfuso, coaching at all practice groups.
- Tom Green: 10 and Under Assistant Coach, coaching on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- Gretchen Catlin: 11 and Older Assistant Coach, coaching on Mondays, Tuesdays, and every other Friday.
- Emily Rice: 10 and Older Assistant Coach, coaching on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Open Assistant Coach Position: TBD, coaching Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Come see how you can grow as a swimmer and a part of the Casco Bay Swim Team.
- For more information, please contact Head Coach Suzi Boccanfuso at 865-9600 ext. 214 or [email protected]