- I-35W weekend closures: July 27-30 and Aug. 3-6
- 4th Ave. S/16th St. ramp to westbound I-94 closes July 30
- 40th St. bridge closes Aug. 3
- Update on bridge, ramp and road openings: Franklin Ave. bridge fully opened and 5th Ave. S ramp to eastbound I-94 reopened July 20
With the end of July right around the corner, we are happy to say that the reopening of some of the bridges and ramps on the project are also right around the corner! But, there also continues to be weekend closures of roads; I-35W is scheduled to close the weekend of July 27-30. We thank you for your continued patience while traveling through the project area. Remember to plan ahead, allow for extra travel time, and consider alternative routes and ways to get around!
A weekend closure of I-35W is scheduled to start at 10 p.m. on Fri, July 27. I-35W will be closed between Hwy 62 and I-694.
The highway will reopen by 5 a.m. on Mon, July 30. The detour route is Hwy 62, Hwy 100, I-694, I-35E and I-94 east.
I-35W southbound will be open from I-694 to Hwy 280 and Hwy 36.
Another weekend closure of I-35W between Hwy 62 and I-694 is also tentatively scheduled for Aug. 3 beginning at 9 p.m. through 5 a.m. Aug. 6.
The closures are needed for two highway projects. The 35W@94 project will be working between I-94 and Hwy 62 doing utility crossings the weekend of July 27, and demolishing the 40th St. pedestrian bridge the weekend of Aug. 3. The I-35W Minneapolis to Roseville project will be resurfacing the road between Hwy 280 and I-94.
The downtown ramp from 4th Ave. S/16th St. to westbound I-94 is tentatively scheduled to close on Mon, July 30. Once the ramp closes it will remain closed for approximately two months while we reconstruct it. The detour route will be to continue on 4th Ave. S/16th St, 15th St. and Lyndale Ave. to get on westbound I-94.
The 40th St. bridge is tentatively scheduled to close on Fri, Aug. 3. The 40th St. pedestrian bridge will remain closed through fall 2020. The detour route for pedestrians and bicyclists during the closure is to use the paved trail on the east side of Martin Luther King Park, 42nd St. and 2nd Ave. S.
We need to keep this bridge closed for so long for a couple reasons:
- The bridge is being completely reconstructed and with all the construction activities taking place on I-35W for the remainder of the project, highway lanes will be reduced and shifted at various times.
- Construction of the new bridge piers cannot begin until several stages of temporary traffic lanes on I-35W are completed below the bridge.
We are working quickly and efficiently to reopen some of the bridges, ramps and roads. Here’s an update on upcoming openings:
- Franklin Ave. bridge:All lanes and sidewalks fully opened Fri, July 20
- 5th Ave. S between 25th St. and 19th St. opened to one lane of traffic Fri, July 20
- 5th Ave. S ramp to eastbound I-94 reopened Fri, July 20
- Westbound I-94 ramp to 11th St. opens in late July
- 38th St. bridge opens Aug. 3
- 2nd Ave. between Lake St. and 29th St. opens in mid-Aug.