YMCA Swim Team Code of Conduct
- Cheering for everyone.
- Having a positive attitude toward your teammates and coaches.
- Encouraging and supporting your teammates and coaches.
- Including everybody.
- Helping your teammates succeed.
- Tell the truth.
- Admit when you make a mistake.
- Have integrity…in other words, possess honor, honest, sincerity, uprightness and sound moral principles.
- Be accountable for your own actions and decisions.
- Avoid gossip…either as a speaker or a listener.
- Cheating is not part of what we do. Be honest with your abilities and workout completion
- Treat others as you would like to be treated. (The Golden Rule)
- Be courteous and respectful of facility staff, parents and team mates
- Take care of equipment and facilities. Destructive behavior will not be tolerated. Every effort should be made to avoid guilt by association with such activities.
- The swimmer will respect all facilities that they use. The swimmer will respect all fellow swimmers’ space and belongings. This includes swimmers from other teams.
- Show good sportsmanship.
- Congratulate competitors.
- Treat others as they would like to be treated. (The Platinum Rule)
- The swimmer will appreciate their parents’ efforts and willingness to provide the swimmer with the swim team experience.
• Bullying in any forms is not part of our team. Reporting it is. The swimmer and parents will refrain from any non-consensual physical contact, obscene language or gesture, or other threatening language or conduct directed towards any swimmer, coach, parent or staff.
• Show up to practice on time, get in on time and be prepared to do what is asked of you.
• Follow the rules even when no one is watching.
• Make good choices in and out of the pool. The swimmer will not use tobacco, alcohol, or drugs.
• Be accountable for your own actions.
Post the Team Code of Conduct in your room and read it often!
Consequences for Violation of the Code
- During practice or a meet, the swimmer will receive two verbal warnings for inappropriate behavior. Upon the third warning, the swimmer will be removed from the water and sit quietly and will not return to the water until he/she is given permission.
- Any additional violations of the code in the same day will result in the swimmer being removed from the pool for the rest of that practice. The parent(s) will be informed of the situation.
- The second time a swimmer is removed from practice or a meet, there will be a conference with the coach, parent, and swimmer to discuss the swimmer’s desire and commitment to swimming on the team.
- The third time a swimmer is removed from a practice or meet they may be asked to leave the swim team for the rest of the season without a refund of fees paid.
Thank you for your cooperation and support. Following the code of conduct will allow all swimmers to have a safe and pleasant experience on the swim team