GREAT LAKES TRITONS SWIM TEAM – Group Coach Job Description
(Assistant to Head Coach)
The Great Lakes Tritons Swim Team is looking for an energetic motivated coach to work with higher level swimmers and assist the head coach in various ways. GLT is a competitive, year round, USA Swimming club swim team that is based out of Macomb County, Michigan. Our team consists of over 150 swimmers ranging in age from 5-18. We have six different training groups, each designed to meet the specific needs of its swimmers.
Coaches must have an outgoing personality that works well with our swimmers, other coaches, and parents. Our swim club, coaches, and Board of Directors are committed to making our athletes better swimmers and people. GLT is looking for individuals that can help support and further this mission.
- Chippewa Valley High School
- Dakota High School
- L’Anse Creuse High School
- L’Anse Creuse North High School
- Serve as the Senior Competitive head group coach, as well Juniors head group coach (possibly as interim role)
- Work with the Head Coach to plan seasonal training plans.
- Plan and lead daily practice for the Senior Competitive group and Juniors
- Coach at evening practices and most weekend swim meets
- Provide a safe and enthusiastic practice for the young athletes
- Keep record of practice sessions and swimmer attendance.
- Deliver regular reports to the Head Coach on the progress of the group.
- Utilize and guide age group assistant coaches for each practice.
- Establish and maintain communication with swimmers and their parents.
- Attend competitions as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Create a positive team environment conducive to learning and fun.
- Assist the Head Coach in finalizing meet entries for the group responsible.
- Develop a season plan inclusive of swim meets, team building activities, parent communication and milestones that you expect to achieve for each group.
- Complete swim meet entries in a timely manner taking into consideration the individual needs of each swimmer entered in the meet.
- Attend swim meets that include the participation of swimmers that you coach.
- Coordinate goal meetings with each swimmer and align coach/swimmer goals for the season.
- Attend monthly coach’s meetings and share best practices.
Description of Senior Competitive Group:
Senior Competitive will focus on strengthening the performance skills and stroke technique of the swimmer. Senior Competitive will consist of high school swimmers that have less than three State cuts and age group state level athletes. The Senior Competitive group is expected to attend 4 out of 6 practices a week and attend meets regularly.
Practice schedule: 6 days a week. At minimum 2 hours per day.
Qualifications: 13/14 JO Qualifying Times -or- 12U State Qualifying Times
Description of Junior Group (support or secondary group to support):
Swimmers are required to be able to demonstrate a proficiency in all four competitive strokes (butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle) and be able to complete competitively 100 yards of each stroke as well as a 200 yard Individual Medley. Swimmers should have and aerobic capacity to handle interval training and endurance training.
Practice schedule: 5-6 days a week. At minimum 1.5 hours per day and/or 8.5 hours per week.
Qualifications: Middle school and high school aged swimmers without JO/State Qualifying times.
- 18 years old with High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years of competitive coaching experience.
- Advanced Knowledge of all four competitive swimming strokes.
- An advanced understanding of stroke rules, disqualifications is expected.
- Current Lifeguard, CPR, First Aid certification (or willing to obtain quickly, prior to working with swimmers).
- Willing to obtain USA Swim Coaches safety training.
- Must complete and pass criminal background check.
- Willingness to work weekend shifts at practices and swim meets.
- Exhibit leadership skills and a passion for working with children.
- ASCA Level 2 is preferred
- Hourly, based on experience.
- Approved expense reimbursement for travel
- Scheduled hours are based on experience and coaching ability.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to Head Coach David Smith via Email: email@example.com