Group Descriptions/Group Requirements/Group Expectations
The following group descriptions provide a blue print for athlete progressions within the Utica Shelby Swim Club and are to be followed by coaches, swimmers and parents. Training guidelines are to be treated as pre-requisites and will be utilized throughout the season. Not every swimmer will be able to fulfill every requirement at the beginning of the year but will be expected to attain the training levels outlined shortly into the season.
All group placements and advancements are to be determined by the coaching staff according to these guidelines with the supervision, direction, and approval of the Head Coach.
Swimmers are expected to progress with their group during the season. Swimmers who do not progress at the same rate of the group, will be moved down to the appropriate group.
· Novice 1- 5-8 yrs old. Swimmers must be very comfortable putting their face in the water, be comfortable in deep water, and be willing to be in a lesson up to 45 minutes. They must also be able to flutter kick on their stomach with a kickboard, swim 15 yards unassisted, and float on their backs unassisted. Proper kicking and basic arm pull for freestyle and backstroke will be the focus. Breaststroke kick will also be taught in this group.
· Novice 2- 5-8 yrs old. Swimmers must be comfortable in deep water and be able to be attentive for a lesson up to 45 minutes. Swimmers in this group must have a complete understanding of Freestyle and Backstroke, and Breaststroke Kick and must be able to complete one length of each. Butterfly kick and pull, Introduction of Backstroke and Freestyle turns, completion of Breaststroke, and Introduction of Competitive starts will be the focus.
Intermediate I 7-11 years old. Swimmers must be able to swim 100 yards Freestyle (front crawl), swim 100 yards Backstroke, and kick 100 yards on their stomach and back. Swimmers should have a basic understanding of Breaststroke kick prior to entering this group. All four competitive strokes will be taught, along with racing starts and turns.
- Intermediate II 7-11 years old. Swimmers should be able to complete a legal 50 fly, 100 back, 50 breast, 100 free, and 100 IM in order to enter this group. Continuing to build strong technique will continue to be the focus in this group. Racing starts and turns will also be taught.
· Junior- 8 - 11 yrs old. Swimmers must be able to legally swim: 500 yards Freestyle without stopping, 200 yards Backstroke, 100 yards each of Butterfly and Breaststroke, and a 200 yard Individual Medley. Knowledge of common terms and an ability to read the pace clock are required. Athletes must be able to complete 6 x 75 @ 2:00, kick 10 x 50 @ 1:30.
· Age Group 1- 8 - 11 yrs old. Swimmers must be able to swim all four strokes with efficient technique sufficient to the training requirement. Must be able to swim 10 x 100 @ 1:50 or faster. Must be able to kick 20 x 50 @ 1:10. Must be able to complete 8 x 100 IM @ 2:05. Swimmers must average 60% practice attendance (3 practices per week), and attend 2-3 days of most team swim meets. This is a committed group and should be a priority activity for your child.
· Age Group 2- 10 – 12 yrs old. Swimmers in this group must exceed the requirements of Age Group 1. Must be able to swim 20 x 100 @ 1:40. Must be able to kick 20 x 50 @ 1:10. Must be able to swim 6 x 400 IM Descended 1-3 and 4-6. Must show an IM/ distance freestyle mentality and continue to compete in the longest distances in all strokes in their age group. This is the top level group for 12 and under swimmers and is a highly committed group. Swimmers must attend an average of 4 practices per week and attend 2-3 days of all team meets. This group is a year round commitment in order to progress with the group.
Senior Development - 12-14 yrs old. Swimmers in this group must attend a minimum of 4 practices each week (67%). Swimmers must be able to complete 10 x 100 @ 1:30 progressing to 30 x 100 @ 1:30 later in the season, 8 x 50 of all strokes @ 1:00 Descending, kick 20 x 50 @ 1:00, complete aerobic IM series up to a 400 IM on 7:00, and understand training pace times specific to each swimmer's events. An emphasis on developing race strategy and refining stroke technique will also be a strong focus of this group. Swimmers are expected to have current times in the 400 IM, 500 Free and 200's of the strokes. Swimmers in this group should have a year-round swimming commitment in order to progress with the group.
The goal of this group is to place athletes in either Senior Conditioning or Senior Performance by their freshman year of high school (SC Season). The longest any athlete will stay in Senior Development, will be through their Sophomore year SC season.
Senior Conditioning - 12 - 18 yrs old. This group will primarily focus on continuing to develop efficient stroke technique and improve racing skills. This group will not have a practice attendance requirements, but athletes should understand the correlation of practice attendance and meet performance and will be expected to progress with the group during the season. Swimmers must be able to complete 10 x 100 @ 1:50 and 3 x 200 IM @ 4:00.
Senior Performance - 14 - 18 yrs old. Registration in this group is invitation based. Athletes receiving invitations will be at the discretion of the Head Coach. This is the highest level of training and swimmers must show dedication and a desire to compete not only at the State-level, but the Sectional and National Level as well. Training begins to become more stroke and race specific, however no one is allowed to become completely specialized. Must continue to have an IM/ distance Freestyle mentality at meets, and must provide a desirable example of sportsmanship, practice habits, work ethic, and respect to be followed by the up and coming swimmers of the Utica Shelby Swim Club. Nothing short of these expectations will be tolerated. Swimmers in this group will maintain practice attendance of 85% practices each week, to be evaluated on a bi-weekly basis. Practice criteria includes:
Girls 30 x 100 15-1:20, 15-1:15, and 10 x 400 IM @ 6:00.
Boys 30 x 100 All on 1:15 and 10 x 400 IM @ 5:40