2018-2019 Scholastic All America - Montana Swimming Team Members
Congratulations to nine outstanding Montana Swimming athletes named to the 2019 USA Swimming Scholastic All America Team!! These athletes are both fast and smart having achieved both a 2018 Winter Juniors qualifying time or faster and have a 3.5 gpa or higher in academic subjects in the past school year. This is the largest group of Montana Swimming athletes to ever qualify for the Scholastic All America honors!
Three time Scholastic All Americans include:
- Ethan Harder (BAC) is a three time Scholastic All American. Ethan completed his senior year attending home school/MSU Billings with a 3.8 gpa.
Two time Scholastic All Americans include:
- Catherine Russo (BMA) who completed her junior year at Butte High School with a 4.0 gpa.
- Parker Keller (HLST) completed his junior year with a 4.0 gpa and attends Helena High School.
First time Scholastic All Americans include:
- Gabrielle Smart (MAC) who completed her senior year at Hellgate High School with a 4.0 gpa.
- Rylee O'Neil (BAC) completed her sophomore year with a 4.0 gpa at home school/MSU Billings.
- Peter Thompson (BAC) has a 3.5 gpa and completed his sophomore year at Billings Senior High School. Peter qualified both as an open water athlete and with a pool qualifying time.
- Jack Leuthold (BAC) completed his senior year with a 4.0 gpa.
- Liam Kerns (BAC) completed his sophomore year at Billings Senior with a 3.8 gpa.
- Sawyer Keyes (UN-BAC) completed his senior year at Hellgate High School with a 4.0 gpa.
These athletes will be recognized on the USA Swimming website and each will receive three certificates – one for the swimmer, one for their club, and one for their school. Each member will also receive a commemorative bag tag.
Montana Swimming had six qualifiers in 2018 and five qualifiers in 2017.
Montana Swimming and USA Swimming are proud to recognize these scholar-athletes and congratulate the swimmers on their achievement, as well as their coaches and parents for their outstanding support!
As a member of the USA Scholastic All America subcommittee, I tabulate the Western Zone women's applications. This year there were overall 1634 successful applicants -- 806 girls and 828 boys. The western zone had 406 athletes qualified. This year was the second year freshman could apply for the team and 224 were successful applicants. Southern California and Pacific Swimming were the top LSCs in the western zone with Southern California leading the nation with 106 athletes. Irvine Novaquatics was the top club in the Western Zone.
For 2020 applications will open on June 1. The last day to qualify is August 16, 2020 and applications will close on August 20. Qualifying times are the 2019 Winter Juniors time standards.
2018-2019 Scholastic All America Application Information
The application for the 2018-2019 year will be available online at the USA Swimming website from June 1, 2019 to August 15, 2019.
- The only method for application will be the online application on the USA Swimming website.
- Applicants will be required to have a USA Swimming account.
- Qualifying pool times for the applicant will be validated through Times on the USA Swimming website (time MUST be in SWIMS).
- Applicant will be required to have a TRANSCRIPT for the COMPLETE academic year available for uploading to the application.
- Applicant must have been a member at the time of the swim and a current member when applying for the 2018-19 SAA team.
- Applicant must have all application documents completed by August 15, 2019. Late applications will NOT be accepted or considered.
- Grade completion requirement – applicant must have completed 9th, 10th 11th or 12th grade
- GPA Requirement – minimum 3.5 GPA for the current academic year
- A=4, B=3, C=2. If numerical grades are used, the following scale will be used unless the school’s letter grade conversion is given on the transcript: A=90-100; B=80-89; C=70-79. In calculating the GPA no rounding will be used – one decimal place only.
- Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and dual credit college level academic courses will earn one half (.5) extra Grade Point. Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, computer sciences, visual and performing arts if indicated as academic. A grade lower than a C in an academic subject will mean automatic rejection of the applicant.Grades for non-academic courses will NOT be calculated – art, band, orchestra, choir, home economics, health, driver education, physical education, shop, etc. and any other class marked as non-academic will not be included in the GPA calculation (unless transcript indicates ‘academic’ or AP or IB).
- There will be no special status designation for a 4.0 GPA other than for a national champion who also has a 4.0 GPA.
- Pool Requirements
- Applicants must have swum an individual pool time equal to a 2018 Winter Junior qualifying time in any individual event during the SAA qualifying period (August 16, 2018 – August 15, 2019) with qualifying times in SWIMS – list of times are posted on the USA Swimming website or here. A qualifying time will be available for selection from the SWIMS database during the application process. Only ONE time is necessary and only ONE application is necessary.
- Disability/Para or Open Water Requirements (for athletes without pool requirements)
- Applicants must have competed in one of the following meets:
2018 US Para National Championships– December 14-16, 2018, Tucson AZ
2019 World Para World Series – April 4-6, 2019, Indianapolis, IN
2019 Can Am Para Swimming Championships – July 12-14, 2019, Vancouver, BC
2019 World Para – July 29-Aug 4, 2019, Kuching, Malaysia
2019 Open Water National Championships – May 3-5, 2019, Miami, FL
To apply for the SAA team for 2018-19:
- Go to the USA Swimming Home Page or any page on the site.
- In the upper right corner, click on “Sign In”.
- If you do not have an account, click on the link to “create account” and follow the instructions.
- If you have an account, simply type your log in name and your password in the appropriate place.
- Make sure the account you have signed in with is linked to your (the athlete’s) USA Membership account. (If you are unsure of the link, go to My Account, Membership Information, where you can either link with ‘Click Here’ or Unlink to check the linked membership record and relink.) You will not be able to access the SAA application without being logged in and linked to the athlete’s Membership account.
- Once you are sure you are correctly linked to your athlete registration, navigate to the SAA Application page (Resources, Browse More, Times, SAA, SAA Requirements, click on link to SAA Application and complete the application. Make sure you SUBMIT the application. If you cannot complete the application, SAVE your work so you can go back again to finish.
- Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email sent to your Deck Pass log-in email. If you do not receive that confirmation immediately upon submission, PLEASE contact Betty Kooy –email@example.com so that we can check the status of your application.
- Your complete high school transcript will need to be uploaded for your application to be complete. All grades for the current year (both semesters 2018-2019) must be on the transcript. You must have completed the 9th, 10th, 11th or 12thgrade in order to apply.
- Note that school transcripts are the only documentation accepted for the Scholastic All America application (PDF or JPG files). Word documents will NOT be accepted. Grade cards and report cards will NOT be accepted.Only grades for the 2018-2019 school year will be used to determine your GPA but a complete transcript is required.
- When a committee member has completed evaluation of the materials, you will be notified of either acceptance (automated from USA Swimming to Deck Pass Log-in email) or rejection via email (from committee member).
- Note: Applications are only accepted from ATHLETES! The athlete must complete the application.
2017-2018 Montana Swimming Scholastic All America team members PDF
Five MT Swim Athletes Named to 2016-2017 Scholastic All America Team
2015-2016 Scholastic All America Team By the Numbers Overall Stats
2016 Scholastic All America Boys Team List
2016 Scholastic All America Girls Team List